RTT mounting questions

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
The 4 runner we are putting a RTT on has no factory roof rack, I have been looking into an aftermarket rack (thule and yakima primarily) But really have no idea what brand would be best, although I assume one of the systems that uses a permanently mounted rail down each side of the car would be best, as apposed to the permanent "feet" style. We will be using the rack for sea kayaks as well as mt bikes and such but primarily for the RTT.
I remember Kurt saying the tents have adjustable sliding mounts on the bottom of the tents so they can match up easily with most rack systems. We are looking at the camping labs tent based on price and reviews. Anyone have any advice on what brand and style of rack will hold the kinda weight a RTT will create with people in it? I assume someone here has had the same issue. Thanks :)

Does the vehicle have rain gutters?
no they don't.

what about nutzerts of sorts and building a small low profile mounting system like we talked about in the uintas? but to answer you i'm a fan of yakima, better quality and easier to use IMO. but if you use those wouldn't that put the rack all the way forward on the runners?

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
Rack n Road on about 70th south and state street has a cool track system that you mount to the top of your 4runner. It will support a RTT, skis, carriers, bikes etc.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I have had 4 different RTT's on both Thule and Yakima. I prefer Thule. Square tubing vs. round on the Yakima.

I even just had Thule racks added to my shell on my truck I like them so much.