Rubicon Shakedown Run #3: Hanging Tree Trail

Omgbecki

As usual a great write up with some great eye candy. I wish I could have made it but still waiting on parts. It was good to great that there wasn't much carnage, the last trip report I read on this trail had me way worried about it.

Steve, how do you feel about your battle wounds on your toy?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looks like a good time!

One correction for you....those are Trepadors, not Creepy Crawlers.

sixstringsteve

I try to avoid driving over plants as well, but if it is a choice between possible vehicle damage or driving over common plants on the trail I would driver over the plants. Glad to see everyone made it with minimal problems. Steve, was it the longer overhang in the rear that caused the bumper to scrape so much, and how much clearance do you have at the lowest point on the body and transfer case? I was hoping to make this trip but am focusing on a possible career change at the moment.

In my opinion, driving over plants and widening a trail should never be an option, even if there's possible vehicle damage. There were other lines I could have taken that didn't involve driving over plants, I just didn't see them until it was too late.

It wasn't the overhang that caused the rear bumper to hit so much, it was the side of the bumper that was used so much. I had my truck leaning sideways on rocks more times than I can count, and my bumper and sliders saved me most of the time.

Aside from that one spot where I really got hung up, my t-case skid didn't get used much. The ground clearance issue was more at the frame than at the lowest point on the vehicle.

sixstringsteve

Steve, how do you feel about your battle wounds on your toy?

I bought this truck to wheel. It had some body damage when I bought it, so I don't feel bad. I knew this trail was going to give me body damage. If I could have squeaked by without body damage, that would have been even better, but it's really not bad at all. I'm just glad I didn't blow a ball joint, cv, front diff, or tie rod end. The truck did really well.

Bart

Great report Steve. That is a trail to push driving skills and it sounds like everyone had a good time. Agree on the stickies, I wish I would have had the foresight to keep one of the many pair I had. You made me want to go run that trail again. You should do it in the spring, the increased water flow adds a whole new element of fun. Thanks again for sharing.

sixstringsteve

That's why I picked late summer to try the trail, I knew I wouldn't stand a chance if it was wet like spring. I don't plan on taking this rig through hanging tree ever again. It was fun, and I did it, but it was tough on the rig. I wished I had my old blue '81 for that trail, it would have done really well.

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
That’s a great report; looks like everyone had a super fun day!

No matter what that trail don't disappoint & always gets my adrenalin pumping... so much so that the excitement resonates within my soul for week.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
That is a trail to push driving skills

You sure got that right, Bart. Now that I've been there, I understand every word of advice you offered me... and I'm very glad I listened. I wouldn't dream of running that trail in a SWB TJ on less than 35s without dual lockers. I admit I didn't use the lockers very much; I tended to engage them only when things looked really difficult. Since I was directly behind Steve with his open front diff, I watched carefully and used him as a judgement of difficulty: if an obstacle caused him grief and it seemed that a front locker would have helped, I would engage my front ARB before making my attempt. This strategy helped me to avoid a few potential hangups, and I was fortunate enough to not need a strap anywhere along the trail (except for the launch pad, which I refused to try and throttle my way up due to my stock axles--I am not that proud).

Enough cannot be said about the awesome group we had. Jeeping is one part nature, one part social and we had a fantastic group of people. I would happily re-run this trail with this same group any time. Thank you all for making this such a wonderful experience.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Sounds like a great time and I really wish I could have made the trip, but was need elsewhere.... Why did you let James G do so well with his stickies, now I'm not going to hear the end of it. :) I may have to make a trip towards the end of the month. If it works out, I'll post up if anyone else is interested.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sounds like a great time and I really wish I could have made the trip, but was need elsewhere.... Why did you let James G do so well with his stickies, now I'm not going to hear the end of it. :) I may have to make a trip towards the end of the month. If it works out, I'll post up if anyone else is interested.

Please post up. Wish I could have made it as well.

Coco

Love this trail. I wanna get out there and run it sometime this year.

James, even stickies need to be broke in, sounds like you still didnt walk it like Jerry did tho :p

Chandler, I tease him about those harnesses all the time :D

Looks like there isnt much water running down the trail tho?

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Colton, this is the least amount of water I have ever seen on that trail...

Hey James I'm supposed to tell ya "I was the one who bought craigs stickes"... sorry didn't know you were eyeing them!!! I'll trade ya them for the treps...lol

jgarnermurray

LETS GO CRAWLIN!!
Thanks everyone for such a great day of wheelin it was awesome. Thanks Steve for putting the whole thing on and thanks James for guiding us your always fun to wheel with!! I hope we can all get together again sometime!!