RV Generator

ID Bronco

I am purchasing a travel trailer for the family and want to get a generator that will suit my needs and be relatively quiet.

I have heard I need at least 3500 watts operating to run the A/C.

Any insight into this or experience.

Any one have one for sale?

I have an 8000 watt one at home but its a heavy pig and pretty bulky. I would rather not haul it around.

Thanks,

scott

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have two Honda 2000i generators. I bought the second one with the thought that if I needed to run the AC I could,,, that is a rare occasion.

Depends on the size of A/C unit. If I remember correctly mine is a 13.5k unit and my Honda 3000i handles it just fine.

I can confirm this. My motorhome came with a 6500w LP generator, but I dropped it and put my 3000i in there because it is so quiet and can handle the air if we need it. Obviously not a lot of buffer left when the air is running...

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm running a Yamaha EF3000iSEB
electric start
(optional remote)
2800W continuous
3000W for 20 min
3500W for 10 sec (gets boost from the starting battery, good for those high starting current loads like the A/C)

No issues starting our 13,500 btu A/C @ 9000' elevation (remember, these things lose 3% per 1000')
Runs 19 hrs @1/4 output.
Includes wheels
Just as quiet as the Honda EU3000 and just as expensive (but has more features and more starting oomph)

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The nice thing about having a 2000i is the size and weight. It's a quite powerful little generator, everyone that I camp with runs them. If you feel that you need to have the power to run the AC you can hook up two to run in parallel. I took two ext cords ran them to each generator and combined the two ends to a 30 amp plug that the fifth wheel plugs into, or you can buy one.

The down fall is that each one of these generators is $1,000.00 +-

boogie_4wheel

Great info! Thanks

I cannot get my head around the difference between the generators and inverters? Any help there? Lay man's terms.

A generator runs at a constant engine speed to maintain the 60Hz frequency. Regardless of electrical load, the engine must remain at speed (unless the load is removed then the engine can go to idle).
An inverter runs at whatever speed is necessary to generate the amount of current for the electrical load. The 60Hz frequency is electronically controlled by the inverter, so it doesn't matter how fast the 'generator' is spun. As the electrical load increases, the engine speed increases. A slower engine speed reduces fuel consumption.

Inverters cost more, are quieter, are better on fuel.

I got a screaming price on my used 3000i. If I was going to purchase new I would probably get 2 2k units and parallel them when I wanted the A/C. The rest of the time a single unit would keep the batteries charged, run the wife crap, power the tv/dvd, and the 2k is easier to load. Don't forget the 3k is electric start (gotta love it!).

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The nice thing about having a 2000i is the size and weight. It's a quite powerful little generator, everyone that I camp with runs them. If you feel that you need to have the power to run the AC you can hook up two to run in parallel. I took two ext cords ran them to each generator and combined the two ends to a 30 amp plug that the fifth wheel plugs into, or you can buy one.

The down fall is that each one of these generators is $1,000.00 +-
I have an on board 5500 watt generator in my toy hauler. Unless I am running the air conditioners, I use a Honda 2000i to run everything. I used to have the companion unit with my previous trailer and they worked great for everything.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I went with Yamaha because a lifelong friend is an area sales manager for Yamaha and got me an incredible price.
I thinks the Yamaha and Honda are equal quality.

ID Bronco

Thanks for the good explanation. It sounds like I need (will want) an inverter. I will save some more money to get one. (and check KSL)

Any other tips for a first time trailer owner? Pit falls to avoid?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
First time trailer owner.. lots of forums out there (RV.net and many manufacturer specific ones) but here are some basics.
First off, get the hitch set up correctly.
Assuming it's not a fifth wheel this usually involves a weight distributing hitch for anything heavier than a small box trailer. Pay for a good one, sway can turn tedium into nightmare.
Trailer should be a little lower in the front.
Standard trailer tires are rated 65mph MAX. They typically are running near their max load, so I always run max pressure (65 psi on mine)
Trailer tires can be completely toast and still have good tread. There is a date stamp on them, many recommend replacing at 5 yr past manufacturing, not purchase.
A blown tire can do extensive damage to the trailer.
Water is very heavy, and so is all of your stuff. I'll add more as I think of them

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have a Cummins Onan 4 K that runs on propane that I like that is not portable but I did not like the idea of something that runs on gas being permanently mounted to the trailer and did not want something I would have to put outside the trailer to run. I think two Honda or Yamaha 2k would be the best If you do not mind the hassle of moving them. The Onan is about $3k and 2 2k are about $2K. I understand Camping World has a new one called Powerhouse or Champion that are cheaper but do not know much about them.

R

rockdog

I don't know what ac unit you are going to run. But it matters. On our fifth wheel our unit is a 13/5 unit. My brother in law has a 3000 watt honda. It runs his ac great. So i figured I'd get one. I tried it on my trailer. It wouldn't even try to pull it. I put a hard start capacitor in the ac unit. Still no go. So I started to research on rv forums. I found out the Coleman's pull way more startup amps than duo therms. I ended up getting the Yamaha also for the extra startup amps. It works perfect. Crazy that one 3000 wouldn't pull it, but another would. I think my Yamaha might be a tad quieter than his honda. But I don't think you would go wrong with either one, as long as it will pull your AC.

R

rockdog

Powerhouse are a Chinese honda knockoff . I bought one from a guy in Logan who was importing them from china. Different name but exactly the same unit. They used to sell these under several different names. The thing was junk within a year. I would never buy one of those pos again.
Champion is also a Chinese generator. We camp with people who have one. It is annoyingly noisy. It also wouldn't pull our Coleman ac.

Caleb

I have two Honda 2000i generators. I bought the second one with the thought that if I needed to run the AC I could,,, that is a rare occasion.

This. We bought a 4K generator thinking we'd want to run our AC in our trailer off it...it's super rare that we ever turned on our AC and only used the generator for that once. I'd agree with what's been said as a whole, get the inverter style as they are mucho quieter and tend to be much better (cleaner) power. I'd also strongly suggest the Hondas.

DAA

Supporting Member
I don't know what kind of AC unit our TT has, but it must be on the small side because my Honda 2000i runs it just fine. There have been a few times it has tripped the genset on startup, but only a few.

- DAA