RV Generator

ID Bronco

Thanks for all the information. I will look closely at rv forums, I just know many of you have experience with this. I am picking the trailer up tonight and get more specs. I thought a 3500 would be the ticket, but two 2000 seems like the best option.

I have a line on two 2000 briggs and stratton's (checking to see if they run parallel or not). Great price, should have parts available later on. Would I be stepping over dimes to pick up pennies in a few years though?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
One of the great things about the Honda & Yamaha generators is how quiet they are. It gets annoying really quick when all you can hear is a generator rattling around. I do not know anything about the Briggs & Stratton, but if it is anything like their utility motors, they are strong, dependable & loud.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks for all the information. I will look closely at rv forums, I just know many of you have experience with this. I am picking the trailer up tonight and get more specs. I thought a 3500 would be the ticket, but two 2000 seems like the best option.

I have a line on two 2000 briggs and stratton's (checking to see if they run parallel or not). Great price, should have parts available later on. Would I be stepping over dimes to pick up pennies in a few years though?
B&S is Not top quality.
Do yourself a favor and only do it once. Honda.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have a 5000w briggs coleman with a briggs and stratton motor. It did a great job for a number of years. Ran the 13,500 btu AC with no problem. It is pretty loud though.

We sold the trailer so now it powers nothing. :rolleyes:

ID Bronco

I have a 5000w briggs coleman with a briggs and stratton motor. It did a great job for a number of years. Ran the 13,500 btu AC with no problem. It is pretty loud though.

We sold the trailer so now it powers nothing. :rolleyes:

I really wanted to buy your trailer earlier but the funds just weren't quite right then. That is what got me thinking about it and buying one.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I really wanted to buy your trailer earlier but the funds just weren't quite right then. That is what got me thinking about it and buying one.

I am glad you didn't (I sold it for more than I had it on RME for;))

I will get another camper some day I think, but for know we will stick with tents or the little off road trailer.

If you want buy my generator send me a PM.

ID Bronco

I am glad you didn't (I sold it for more than I had it on RME for;))

I will get another camper some day I think, but for know we will stick with tents or the little off road trailer.

If you want buy my generator send me a PM.

I will let you know if I go that route, I think I am going to try to swing a quieter one.

Thanks!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Even though the Yamaha and Honda units are very quiet, I keep mine in the bed of my truck where the sides shield neighbors from sound (that and the fact that it weighs 158lbs and is a b**ch to get in and out of the bed). I bought a 30', 30A extension since my shore power is at the opposite end of the trailer. Some day I may wire up something permanent at the hitch end of the trailer. A nice feature of the Yamaha is the handles are metal and connect to the metal frame of the genny. Generators sprout legs when not chained down and I've heard tales of people cutting through the plastic handles of the 2000w Honda unit to steal it. So the Yamaha stays cabled to the truck and my bed walls are just high enough that I can close my folding cover over it when not in use.

For high loads, non-boosted models (Honda and Yamaha) recommend you turn off the eco-throttle option so the unit idles at much higher RPM and can respond to high surge loads faster. The Yamaha with the boost feature can compensate for the initial draw while the rpm's ramp up. I always run mine in the low idle mode while running the AC and it works just fine.

Not sure if the Honda offers a battery boosted version or not, but I wouldn't have one that didn't.

StormRider

Also keep in mind that you lose approx 3% power for every 1k in elevation. So while a 3.5k generator will handle a 30amp trailer (AC, fridge, ect) at 4,000 feet, at 10,000 feet you're screwed. I went camping last year at 11,000 feet, and the 3.5k generator I had was putting out 2.3k, and running like complete crap because it was jetted too rich. Things to keep in mind :)