Sami stuff?

P

pokeyYJ

My dad and I are going to look at a Samurai for my little brother this weekend, but I wanted to know what kind of things we should be looking out for, good and bad? It is a hardtop model, not sure on the year but it is rust free and looks to be well cared for. Any thing that would tip me off that this rig is something to turn away from?

cheapzuk said:
Check the distributor housing. They always leak. It could atleast give you some leaverage on the price. :D

And if it is leaking, PB Blaster will restore the O-Ring if it's not dry rotted to the point it's cracked. Check the T-Case for smooth operation (a bad shifter sheet will prevent it from engaging or getting stuck in neutral..$15 dollar part), I don't know about you guys out west, but here in New England pull the carpet in the front floor board area, back portion under rear seat, behind both passenger and driver's seat where the back portion drops down to the area behind the seats, and behind the gas tank filler protection plate...all these areas rust and are hidden by the carpet :D I personally like the soft top Zuks, it would be worth it to look for one instead of the tin tops :D

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
It seems like a couple were for sale on the board. Run a search. I looked at the one Thebigsgt has or had but I ended up going with a 2nd Toyota.
Bob

cheapzuk

My experiance is that there isn't very much problem with rust. I have had both a hardtop and a softop. I didn't like the hard top offroad because it felt like it was to top heavy, but I loved it for driving in town because the heater works REALY well in those.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
also check for rust under the fender flares and under the plastic trim piece that goes along the rocker panel.

listen to the tranny and t-case for any whining and check for smooth upshifting between 1-2, 3-4, dont worry about down shift between 2-1, you have to be almost completely stopped before you can get it into first.

also listen for obvious whining from the rear end. pinion bearings, and seals should be spotless, if not you have problems!! rear axle bearings go out almost exactly at 100K miles give or take 10k so ask if they have been changed....when they go out, they go loud and hard!!

rust is your main issue, in utah, we use lots and lots of salt on the roads so zuks get hit hard. check everything for leaks.

P

pokeyYJ

cool, thanx for the info, if everything goes well tomarrow, I will be getting a crash course in the Sami world. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i was gonna say everything that spence did......but he did first :)

wanna know what a noisey, not-so-healthy zuk sounds like? i'll take you for a drive....you can look through mine and find most of everything that you're trying to avoid!!! :rofl: :rofl:

they are alot of fun......i'd say it's a great rig for someone new to the game(though, it's all i've really known :) )....make him wheel it stock for a year or so.....that helped me a ton on picking good lines and being a better driver than my friends with their bigger mildy lifted J**ps. :D

watch pokey.....you'll want one soon enough....you can ralley the piss out of em!!! ;)

shmoesmith

SAMI said:
they are alot of fun......i'd say it's a great rig for someone new to the game(though, it's all i've really known :) )....make him wheel it stock for a year or so.....that helped me a ton on picking good lines and being a better driver than my friends with their bigger mildy lifted J**ps. :D

watch pokey.....you'll want one soon enough....you can ralley the piss out of em!!! ;)

yeah, just look at what I drag mine through with no lift :eek: BUY ONE BUY ONE!!!! I need somone with a non lifted sammy to wheel my sami and tracker with :D

P

pokeyYJ

Well we picked it up on Tuesday, and I have spent the last few days doing the basic used car check in. Just like you guys said rust under the fenderflares and rocker cover thingies, but not too bad.

It is already lifted but I don't know what kind it is, who makes a 2.5" lift for the Sami?

As soon as I get some pics I will put them up.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
pokeyYJ said:
Well we picked it up on Tuesday, and I have spent the last few days doing the basic used car check in. Just like you guys said rust under the fenderflares and rocker cover thingies, but not too bad.

It is already lifted but I don't know what kind it is, who makes a 2.5" lift for the Sami?

As soon as I get some pics I will put them up.

proly a stupid shackle lift :rolleyes:

troutbum

cubi-kill
now chop the sh!t out of the top....tin tops make great convertibles :D
This was a tin top once upon a time couple hours with the sawzall fixed it :D

attachment.php

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
SAMI said:
proly a stupid shackle lift :rolleyes:

could be add-a-leafs...did you piss blood after you drove it home?? if it rides like there is no suspension, you might be a victim of add a leafs!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
spencurai said:
could be add-a-leafs...did you piss blood after you drove it home?? if it rides like there is no suspension, you might be a victim of add a leafs!!

sounds like experience talking :rofl:

P

pokeyYJ

Nope it is definately a spring lift. Doesn't ride all that bad, comparable to my YJ, but WAY gutless. :p