Suzuki Samurai T-case gearing

str8axleguy

So I got the spring over on my samurai on Saturday. I went with a Sky-manufacturing kit with new shocks and mounts, spring pads, etc. I am running 31 x 12.5 Swamper SSR's mounted on 10 wide steel wheels and am needing gears bad. I am having trouble deciding between 4.9 and 6.5 t-case gears. I don't really want to drive faster than 65 and am trying to get the lowest gearing and still be able to go that fast. I have also read that you have to grind the case to run 6.5's and don't really want to do that, I will be installing the gears myself. I don't want it too low but don't want to change gears and not get enough back with the heavy tires. Any one have suggestions?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
6.5 gears, and grind, or buy an already assembled case if you would rather pay the additional money to not have to grind it yourself. you will probably end up with bigger tires eventually, we all seem to end up doing that.

Matt

My sammy seemed just right with the 6.5 gears and 31's, plus you can get away with running stock axle gears. Grinding the t-case was no big deal either, it was pretty simple. :D

zukking01

.....You have to grind the case to run 6.5's and don't really want to do that, I will be installing the gears myself.... .... Any one have suggestions?

Come over with the gears and I will help you do it. I am in west jordan and can help you disassemble and reassemble. If it really bothers you I can grind the case where needed so you dont need to worry.

str8axleguy

Thanks guys that makes my mind up. I was thinking about buying a complete case but don't want to wait two weeks or pay a core. I have a 94 so I already have the updated shaft and figured I might as well just change out the gears. I won't be able to order gears for a couple weeks, but Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.