San Rafael planning meeting

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
For the Adobe impaired:

Price, Utah—The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Price Field Office (PFO) announces that the public scoping period for the San Rafael Desert Travel Management and Transportation Plan Environmental Assessment (EA) will run from January 21, 2015, to February 21, 2015. Two public open houses will be held during this period to give interested members of the public an opportunity to get involved in the planning process by providing written comments.
The purpose of the public scoping process is to determine relevant issues that will influence the environmental analysis, including alternatives, and guide the planning process. The BLM will host open houses where the public can provide input on route designation criteria and travel routes in the planning area that are important to their use of public lands. These meetings will also help inform the public about the BLM’s multi-step travel management planning process. Written comments will be accepted during the public scoping meetings and throughout the scoping period, which ends February 21, 2015.
The two public open houses for the San Rafael Desert Travel Management Area will be held on:

January 21, 2015
4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Jon Wesley Powell Museum
1765 East Main St
Green River, Utah 84525

January 22, 2015
4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Emery County Courthouse
75 East Main St
Castle Dale, Utah 84513

The 2008 Record of Decision and Approved Resource Management Plan for the PFO directs the field office to complete a Travel and Transportation Management Plan (TMP) for all BLM lands managed by the PFO. Comprehensive travel and transportation management planning addresses access needs for a wide array of public land uses including agricultural, commercial, and recreational activities. Access needs are evaluated within the context of the BLM’s legal mandates to protect sensitive natural and cultural resources on public lands. Based on this comprehensive evaluation, every route on BLM-managed PFO lands will receive one of the following designations as a result of the planning process: open, closed, or limited.
The Price Field Office will be subdivided into five Travel Management Areas, and a separate EA with a 30-day public scoping period will be completed for each of the five areas.
The first area to be analyzed is the San Rafael Desert Travel and Transportation Management Area. This area includes the San Rafael Desert South of I-70 and East of HWY 24 to the Green River and Emery County line. In advance of the open houses, the public is encouraged to view a map of the planning area and the current route inventory map on the BLM PFO webpage at: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/price.html an online comment form is also available on the webpage for those wishing to submit comments electronically. Before including your address, phone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be aware that your entire comment – including personal identifying information – may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so. The BLM will not consider anonymous comments.
Written comments can be mailed to the Price Field Office, 125 South 600 East, Price, UT 84501 or submitted to: blm_ut_pr_comments@blm.gov All submissions from organizations and businesses,
and from individuals identifying themselves as representatives or officials of organizations or businesses, will be available for public inspection in their entirety. Please note the most useful comments are those that identify issues relevant to the proposed action or contain new technical or scientific information. Comments which contain only opinions or preferences will not receive a formal response but may be considered in the BLM decision making process.
For additional information, contact Kelly Buckner @ (435)-636-3639. Persons who use a telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) may call the Federal Information Relay Service (FIRS) at 1-800-877-8339 to contact the BLM during normal business hours. The FIRS is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to leave a message or question. You will receive a reply during normal business hours.

I'm not going to make either of those dates.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I think help from a far will come in the form of letters: "Written comments will be accepted during the public scoping meetings and throughout the scoping period, which ends February 21, 2015. "

This is scoping for a plan, i.e. they don't have the plans (alternatives) formed yet but want to hear from the user body to develop those plans. Undoubtedly they will likely have 5 plans in the end, no change (status quo), ultra motorized freindly, ultra anti-motorized and a few in between. We just want to bombard them with as many pro-motorized opinions so that all of the options lean in our favor. What would be super helpful from those attending is the type of leading questions they are using at the scoping meeting. Are the wanting opinions on closures? opinions on pavement? opinions on improved campgrounds? Opinions on Wilderness?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Josh is a very level headed manager in this office.......something we have not seen in a long time. He would be willing to talk to anybody over the phone about the meetings if you are not able to make it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Josh is a very level headed manager in this office.......something we have not seen in a long time. He would be willing to talk to anybody over the phone about the meetings if you are not able to make it.

That is refreshing to hear. Will you be attending the scoping meeting?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just came back from the meeting and learned a few things about where everything is at in the process. When the RMP was done in 2008, the area south of I-70 and east of hwy 24 was not addressed as far as route designations go. Originally we were told that due to the terrain......blow sand........that the are was going to be left as open. At the last moment that was pulled off the table and the are was left in limbo with no designated routes. A couple years ago the BLM hired a company out of New Mexico to supply them with an inventory of routes that were on the ground that mainly consisted of 2 track full size roads. What you see on the map supplied by the BLM is those routes plus some additional inventory that the BLM had in regards to ATV & motorcycle routes.

What is needed with comments is any corrections you see that need to be made to the map. Is there a road or trail that you are aware of out there that is not on the map? If so, comment on it and supply any supporting data you may have. There are areas on here that I feel need to be opened back up to motorized travel, one of them being Junes Bottom and the other being a section at the bottom right that is designated as semi primitive non motorized. This is a road that goes down to a couple of overlooks on the river. The case for it being non motorized is complete crap since the river itself is open to motorized boats and on the other side of the river it is open to motorized. In fact, it is part of that whole stretch that goes up to Hey Joe mine on the Grand County side.

If you have any specific questions about the area I will try and answer them as well as I can.

Comments are due by 2/21/15

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Comments are due by Feb 21st. Here is an outline of things that we have covered in the comments being submitted.

The Price BLM office is currently accepting scoping comments on the San Rafael Travel Management Area. Public comments must be submitted by February 21, 2015. Comments can be submitted via email to blm_ut_pr_comments@blm.gov
Here are some points to consider and mention. It is very important to state the purpose and need of each trail or route.
Bellow are some talking points that you may use to submit your comments. Do not let this opportunity pass. SUWA will be submitting comments and soliciting comments as well. We need to stand up and be heard.
1. Request that the Price Field office utilize the Travel and Transportation Handbook H-8342 to ensure a fair and balanced approach to travel management.
2. State that travel routes for a variety of motorized uses and experiences are needed.
3. State that all routes and trails in the San Rafael Desert should be kept open for public use.
4. Designated routes need to have a leeway of 300 feet for pulling off and public camping.
5. Ask the BLM to recognize the historic desert race trails of 1976-1987 as sponsored by the Green River Jeep Posse and Pathfinders Motorcycle Club.
6. Tell the BLM that the following areas should be open areas for cross country travel, Wildcat Butte, Cottonwood Wash and Acerton Mine Road.
7. Specifically comment on the following routes:
a. Cottonwood Wash: This is a historic travel route with a high scenic value. The BLM recognized and permitted races in this wash. The route should be open to all OHVs.
b. San Rafael River Access and Crossings: These river crossings follow historic travel routes and provide loop opportunities and access to State managed lands.
c. Bull Bottom: This route provides access and view points to the Green River.
d. Junes Bottom: This is a historic route that provides recreation access to the Green River. This is an RS2477.
e. Buster Erwins: This public right a way provides access to the Green River and private property.
f. Five Hole Arch: This route provides access to view points of the Green River and access to several hiking trails in the area.
g. Chaffin Ranch Road: This route provides access to a historic ranch which is part of the history of the San Rafael.
cleardot.gif

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
BUMP........comments are due by 2/21. Here is a good outline to use.

The Price BLM office is currently accepting scoping comments on the San Rafael Travel Management Area. Public comments must be submitted by February 21, 2015. Comments can be submitted via email to blm_ut_pr_comments@blm.gov
Here are some points to consider and mention. It is very important to state the purpose and need of each trail or route.
Bellow are some talking points that you may use to submit your comments. Do not let this opportunity pass. SUWA will be submitting comments and soliciting comments as well. We need to stand up and be heard.
1. Request that the Price Field office utilize the Travel and Transportation Handbook H-8342 to ensure a fair and balanced approach to travel management.
2. State that travel routes for a variety of motorized uses and experiences are needed.
3. State that all routes and trails in the San Rafael Desert should be kept open for public use.
4. Designated routes need to have a leeway of 300 feet for pulling off and public camping.
5. Ask the BLM to recognize the historic desert race trails of 1976-1987 as sponsored by the Green River Jeep Posse and Pathfinders Motorcycle Club.
6. Tell the BLM that the following areas should be open areas for cross country travel, Wildcat Butte, Cottonwood Wash and Acerton Mine Road.
7. Specifically comment on the following routes:
a. Cottonwood Wash: This is a historic travel route with a high scenic value. The BLM recognized and permitted races in this wash. The route should be open to all OHVs.
b. San Rafael River Access and Crossings: These river crossings follow historic travel routes and provide loop opportunities and access to State managed lands.
c. Bull Bottom: This route provides access and view points to the Green River.
d. Junes Bottom: This is a historic route that provides recreation access to the Green River. This is an RS2477.
e. Buster Erwins: This public right a way provides access to the Green River and private property.
f. Five Hole Arch: This route provides access to view points of the Green River and access to several hiking trails in the area.
g. Chaffin Ranch Road: This route provides access to a historic ranch which is part of the history of the San Rafael.

Here is an example letter.

BLM office Price, UT February 10, 2015
RE: San Rafael Travel Management area

As a frequent and mixed use visitor to the San Rafael area, please consider my opinion and input as to future management and travel plans for the area. As a life-long resident of Utah and Father of four active outdoor children, the San Rafael area is one of our favorite areas to recreate. Our family respectfully enjoys the scenery of the red rock, hiking slot canyons and greater access to historical areas via motorized access.

I formally request that for future travel and management plans you utilize the Travel and Transportation Handbook as the guide in establishing a balanced approach in travel management. As the population in Utah grows, in conjunction with the increase of Utah as a vacation destination, it is imperative that existing access be maintained, and additionally the re-opening of areas to reduce travel concentration and provide for greater disbursement. I am requesting that all existing route and trails remain open for public use and that a leeway of 300 feet be maintained for allowing dispersed camping. The re-opening of a few specific areas will significantly reduce user conflict, I recommend you open the Wildcat Butte, Cottonwood Wash, and Acerton Mine Road for cross country travel.

As a past member of the Sage Riders motorcycle club, I am aware of the great work this club has and does perform in the San Rafael and other areas within Utah. I am confident you agree, respect and rely on these club efforts to assist BLM in San Rafael trail maintenance. It is with this demonstrated success of BLM and club participation management that I request that you preserve the historic desert trails (specifically those trails used during the timeframe of 1976-1987 as sponsored by the Green River Jeep Posse and Pathfinders Motorcycle Club).

For your review and consideration of re-opening use areas to aid in disbursement and minimize impact, please consider these historical routes:

Cottonwood Wash: This is a historic travel route with a high scenic value. The BLM recognized and permitted races in this wash. The route should be open to all OHVs.

San Rafael River Access and Crossings: These river crossings follow historic travel routes and provide loop opportunities and access to State managed lands.

Bull Bottom: This route provides access and view points to the Green River.

Junes Bottom: This is a historic route that provides recreation access to the Green River. This is an RS2477.

Buster Erwins: This public right a way provides access to the Green River and private property.

Five Hole Arch: This route provides access to view points of the Green River and access to several hiking trails in the area.
Chaffin Ranch Road: This route provides access to a historic ranch which is part of the history of the San Rafael.

Please contact me directly if you would like additional comments.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Hey Paul. Do you have more information on this race? Route?

I'm working on an letter on behalf of ExpUt and wanted to make sure I'm in the know on these subjects.