San Rafell Swell Monument = Wilderness?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Did anyone else see this crap? It was in Oct. 28th's SLC Tribune.......

"In an unpublicized, whirlwind visit, Gov. Mike Leavitt made a last-ditch plea to off-highway vehicle enthusiasts to support the idea of establishing a 620,000-acre national monument in the red-rock canyon country known as the San Rafael Swell."

"SUWA makes it clear, however, that it will continue to advocate for eventual wilderness designation inside and outside the proposed monument and will push for tougher restrictions on OHV use.
While Johnson praises SUWA's "willingness to listen and be at the table," his allies say the group's endorsement of the monument will be "the kiss of death" for the monument vote. SUWA is not well-liked in Emery County."

Heres a link to the whole story-

San Rafael Monument Proposition

If SUWA wins the designation to make this a Monument, it's just going to pave the way for eventual Wilderness. I thought Leavitt was all about having Trail Systems through Utah? What gives now......

Greg

Admin
Yeah.... He won't go againt their Will, but he will beg them to let the Vote pass. Come on!! They LIVE there! I hope they all can stay strong and vote this bill down!

P

pokeyYJ

Is there anything that we can do to help, even if we live up North?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I drove through Emery County last week to do a trail down on the Swell and there were signs everywhere advising locals to vote Against the Monument. :)

The people in Emery spend a lot of time on the Swell and don't really like the idea of a burst in tourism and less access to their land. Except for a few business owners that will profit huge from the monument.

I have faith in the people voting against the monument, but you never know what will happen for sure.

I swear, if I ever see Mike Leavitt in person I'm going to smack him right across the face with a pipe wrench. :mad:

Greg

Admin
Bahahaha!! Thanks for the followup Kurt! That article is too funny......

Paraphrased by Greg- "Waaaa..... the locals don't want a Monument, now we can't do anything......"

GOOD!!! :p I'm glad it was shut down at the beginning.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
They leave out so much detail and take so many things out of context it just makes me sick.

The Monument plan *COULD* have been a good thing. Depending on how it would be have been designated and managed. Many people supported it at first because it *COULD* have guaranteed keep the trail open to Off-Highway Vehicles. One of the many presented "Themes" for the monument that many people (locals and OHV activists) agreed with was to keep it's historical trails open to everybody so the Swell could be explored just like the prospectors did. To explore the area wether it be via horseback, bike, or motorized vehicle.

But, keeping the trails open all of a sudden wasn't guaranteed and then SUWA decided to step in and shoot around some of their plans and ideas for the Swell. Remember; Money talks, bullsh*t walks. They just can't be trusted, and neither can the people they are associated with. People are just bought off way too easily. Remember, these people (SUWA) have $$$

Then many realize that designating wilderness could be easier if the land is in Monument boundaries.

The fight for the Swell is likely to go on and on. I wish they would just open their eyes and realize that the land belongs to EVERYBODY and not just them, no matter how you access it.

Greg

Admin
Hopefully this Vote will show the rest of the World that the locals have a majoity of the decision making process. Thats a good point though Shane, the SUWA isn't going to drop it because 2,151 people said no. My favorite quote in the above story-

"The theory was that SUWA is so disliked in Emery that anything it supports dies, leaving SUWA free to continue fighting for wilderness designation for the San Rafael."

Theory??? :rolleyes: Ummmm, how about TRACK RECORD?!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its too bad they (SUWA) don't see the trend groing in all these small rural towns. They don't want increased tourism and land being tied up at the hands of enviro's. SUWA has way more money then they know what to do with! They also have numerous volunteer/enviromentally freindly lawers and legal teams on their side. I am still surprised that we (offroad enthusiasts) are not fighting back to the degree we should. I think the first thing that everyone that goes outdoors (ATV's, snowmobilers, 4x4's, etc) should join the U4WDA or comparible land use organization. Every new member can make a big difference when they join these groups.....We need to FIGHT BACK! :mad:

ewander

The popular support through out Carbon and Emery county is definitely against a wilderness area. Unless a huge land grab is made by the president, I don't see it happening......

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by ewander
The popular support through out Carbon and Emery county is definitely against a wilderness area. Unless a huge land grab is made by the president, I don't see it happening......

I don't see any Land Grabs coming from Bush..... more than likely, he'd reverse the assanine decisions Clinton made about the Grand Staincase. We can only hope!