save my sanity-help me find this mythical (?) part for my Jeep

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
To borrow a phrase, I have a dream. I have a dream for a new way to attach part of my safari top. I just need this one thingy which I'm sure must exist... and I need help to find it.

I have a bar that joins my OEM rear roll cage legs. I run a safari top in the spring/summer/fall, and it almost reaches this cross bar. You can just barely see both of them in this old photo:

spare3.jpg

Back when I bought this safari top, I decided a neat way to 'attach' it to this crossbar would be to have some holes punched and eyelets installed... so I did that. I then used very small bungee cords to hold the safari top to the bar. Long story short, it doesn't really hold the top in place like I would prefer it did.

What would be really neat is if I could find one (or two or three) plastic pieces shaped like this (forgive my cruse MS Paint skills) as they would be seen directly from the side:

11216590_731957160236263_7472722454879945964_n.jpg

The idea is for this plastic piece to slip on over the cross bar, then sandwich the safari top material. I would drill a hole in the appropriate spot through the plastic, then I could "bolt" it to the safari top in some fashion. As a bonus, the flat parts of this piece (ie--the bread slices of the sandwich) would give some support to the safari top and keep it from sagging/bunching like it tries to do with the small bungee cords I've used in the past. In my ideal dream world, these pieces would be at least half an inch wide, perhaps wider.

SO, does anybody know what I'm looking for, or what it's called, or--to the point--know where I could find it?

johnsonbz

I may have something to help you, it is a part a found at grainger….. let me dig it out of the garage and grab a picture tomorrow…..diameter is 1.75" or 2"??

AaronPaige

there are metal clamps That have a rubber protector at you local parts stores in that same shape I use the small ones to hold wiring or hoses to frame rails, but I have used big ones (1.75 I.d .) Too they are currently holding my wife's horse feeder to the coral panels

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars

Yes!!!

Irony: before deciding to start this thread, last night I went to HD to try and find something that would work. I was clear in my description, and I even sketched pictures of what I needed. All three HD employees I spoke to simply looked at me blankly. I wandered around and looked on my own, but found nothing.

I'll go back, this time armed with info from their own Web site. :)