School me on registering my stupid hybrid in a non-emissions county

reddman

Fabber
Well I'm finally paying the price for the idiotic decision to buy a hybrid Honda Civic back way back in 2005 (besides the obvious damage it did to to my dignity).

Background:
The thing still averages 45 mpg just like it did when it was new, and everything in the hybrid system operates like it always has, but it has tossed codes P1600 and P1449, indicating degraded hybrid battery condition (essentially it's starting to get tired but definitely isn't dead yet). Resetting the codes/pulling the 12v battery won't clear it, and from everything I read when searching about those codes indicates it's hopeless to pass emissions without replacing the 144V battery. The stealership laughed when I asked how much a replacement was and then tried to sell me a new Civic since the car is worth less than the replacement battery, which just made me say F#$% Honda and walk out of there. Off brand replacement batteries run $2700 or so. It works just fine still! The hybrid system is simply assists the gas motor, and isn't actually critical to the vehicle running and driving. If the battery says it is tired but the car still runs clean and drives fine, I refuse to replace it or call the vehicle totaled. All I want is for my 45 mph car to pass emissions!

I oft hear people say "Just register it in a non-emissions county" in regards to rigs that wont pass, and while it sounds easy, I want to hear from someone who has actually done it before I waste a day dealing with the DMV outside of SL county. Don't I have to live in another county (or own land perhaps) to do that? My family has a cabin in Wasatch county, which I believe is a non emissions county, perhaps I can utilize that to facilitate the process, but I don't have the time during DMV operating hours to spend simply finding out if it's possible.

So let's hear how it's done. How do I get around this silly emissions law in a ultra clean running PZEV car that gets 3 times better mileage than my emissions passing Land Cruiser?

D

Deleted member 12904

It's simple get a saftey inspection and a residential address in a non IM county. Go to that county dmv hand them the Saftey inspection along with a paper with your information including your "new address" and the old registration. Say as little as needed and usually not even that. DMV workers are not investigators and they don't care where you live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get the address, you don't need to have the inspection or registration done in that county. I live in Tooele county and have all my inspections and registration paperwork done in SLC

D

Deleted member 12904

lol get a residential address? how on earth do you do that....
just make up an address? buy a house? move?

Well Red mentioned his family has a cabin. And before I got as creative as you I would probably ask a few of my friends that live in those counties if I could use their address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricsrx

my parents live in a non IM county, I went to their local DMV the first time with my safety in hand, they used to mail the registration reminder to my parents address and they would send it to me, I would get the safety in salt lake and would register online, now I get the email notifications, makes it even easier. now I have property in that said county and I am legal!!

reddman

Fabber
Well that doesn't sound too difficult at all, thanks deviant!

Our cabin doesn't have a mailbox. Any tips or ideas on how to do it without an actual mailing address? I suppose I could open a PO box and then set it to forward to my house, but perhaps there is an easier way I'm not thinking of.

Tonkaman

When I lived in Heber the DMV would investigate addresses. They are so close to salt lake that it's very common for people to try and skip emissions. They will make you provide some sort of mail from that address

D

Deleted member 12904

When I lived in Heber the DMV would investigate addresses. They are so close to salt lake that it's very common for people to try and skip emissions. They will make you provide some sort of mail from that address

I wold not recommend just making up an address but they do not check mail or anything like that in Tooele.

Jesser04

My step brother registers his truck in weber county at his father inlaws house. When he went to the dmv he gave them the ogden address for the physical address and his house for the mailing address.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This isn't answering the OP's question, but it is relevant to the topic:

I frequent a variety of automobile forums. My most-visited one is The Car Lounge, which is a "non-denominational" forum with thousands of members around the globe. Long story short, the Civic hybrid has a well-known reputation for its hybrid battery pack dying in a (relatively) short time period, and it is expensive to replace. In contrast, the Prius hybrid battery pack seems to last damn near forever.

FYI for any RMEers out there who are considering a hybrid purchase of their own.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
My step brother registers his truck in weber county at his father inlaws house. When he went to the dmv he gave them the ogden address for the physical address and his house for the mailing address.

Why? weber county has emissions too... so that would be pointless