Scout 80 or 800

Bart

I know it's a long shot but my son finally sold his truck and is now looking for an early year Scout and would prefer something pre 67. If anyone knows of anything out there please let me know know.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Been a few floating on KSL but Im sure you have checked there already.

I sure like the sound of this thread tho! I will keep my eyes peeled

wheelewagon

Usually where I see them is just driving through small towns sitting in there yards. You could probably just go knock on the door and by one for dirt cheap. Maybe sometimes even just given to you to get it off their property. I could be completely wrong though.

mombobuggy

Sadly I keep hearing that neat old rides are getting scrapped at an alarming rate because of scrap prices being hi. Hopefully he will find what he is looking for before it is to late. Also whenever the dollar gets weak our beloved classics leave every day in containers bound for other countries. It makes me sick.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I always digged the half cabs. Aren't pre 67 almost all 4 cylinders? Or was the 304 ready then? I have been eyeing scout II's for a couple years

flexyfool

GDW
Usually where I see them is just driving through small towns sitting in there yards. You could probably just go knock on the door and by one for dirt cheap. Maybe sometimes even just given to you to get it off their property. I could be completely wrong though.

Actually tried that several times. The owner either wasn't around ("it belongs to my cousin's husband and he's in Texas" or some such thing), or the owner wanted a stupid high amount for it. Usually though, the thing is a rust-bucket, and the title is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
The old Scouts are especially difficult to find in good condition because they were sold through tractor dealers to farmers and ranchers who worked them over real good then dumped them in the back lot when they broke. A huge number must have been sold in the Boise area. They still show up on Craigslist consistently -- not nearly so much as they did years ago. Quality and prices are all over the place.

http://boise.craigslist.org/search/...oMinYear=&autoMaxYear=&autoMakeModel=&excats=

I've been eyeing this http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4339707157.html for some time. Looks like a good deal for the right person.

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
That one was built in Twin Falls. It actually started as a "frame-off" restoration and turned into that!

It is an odd rig. Some expensive parts and good ideas mixed in with some not so good stuff. Someone who knew what they were doing could make it very respectable with almost no money put into it. I would do it, but I already have a flat fender "waiting in the wings". The 4 speed atlas with adapter collar and new main shaft for the T18 is $3800 just by itself.

Last edited:

wheelewagon

Actually tried that several times. The owner either wasn't around ("it belongs to my cousin's husband and he's in Texas" or some such thing), or the owner wanted a stupid high amount for it. Usually though, the thing is a rust-bucket, and the title is nowhere to be found.

I kinda figured that might happen. But usually where you see them and was thinking it was worth the shot.

The old Scouts are especially difficult to find in good condition because they were sold through tractor dealers to farmers and ranchers who worked them over real good then dumped them in the back lot when they broke. A huge number must have been sold in the Boise area. They still show up on Craigslist consistently -- not nearly so much as they did years ago. Quality and prices are all over the place.

http://boise.craigslist.org/search/...oMinYear=&autoMaxYear=&autoMakeModel=&excats=

I've been eyeing this http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4339707157.html for some time. Looks like a good deal for the right person.

Makes sense, especially where you usually see them in the back of some old farmers yard.

Bart

That would be a good one, but he's really looking for a runner. Last year there were a few out there and this year.... nada.

Bart

It's been there on and off for about a month and I sent it to him a while ago. It has some nice parts but a bit out of his price range.