scout D44 steering

O'neal

?????????
Need some input for a scout D44 steering.Here's the deal,my buddy has been building up his old jeepster with scout 44's SOA,didn't realize the steering until the front was put in.The problem is the drag link,the leaf spring is in the way.The front 44 doesn't have a flat top knuckle,can one be used on a scout 44 or did they not come with them on any of the 44's?The only option seem's to be running the draglink to the tie rod unless someone make's a steering kit for the axle.Thank's

troutbum

cubi-kill
you can search the junk yards or buy new from parts mike
scout_knuckle.jpg

troutbum

cubi-kill
no they did not, but a d44 is a d44. the big difference is the spindle studs. most d44s have a 6 bolt pattern the scout had 8. So you can either buy the above knuckle and use all your scout stuff spindles out
-or-
you can source regular d44 flat top knuckles, also source the spindles out and have the knuckle milled.
-or-
you can source the regular d44 flat top, milled and have the 8 hole pattern drilled into the chev knuckle.

The parts mike is the easiest, but it is kinda spendy.

O'neal

?????????
troutbum said:
no they did not, but a d44 is a d44. the big difference is the spindle studs. most d44s have a 6 bolt pattern the scout had 8. So you can either buy the above knuckle and use all your scout stuff spindles out
-or-
you can source regular d44 flat top knuckles, also source the spindles out and have the knuckle milled.
-or-
you can source the regular d44 flat top, milled and have the 8 hole pattern drilled into the chev knuckle.

The parts mike is the easiest, but it is kinda spendy.

Thank's for the info,really informative.;) thank's.....

olywrestle

Duct Tape
I think the IH trucks in the mid 70's had the flat top knuckle....but a different bolt pattern.

I am at the same stage on mine, looking into different options.

78mitsu

if you can find some chevy flat top knuckles, You'll also need some "small" spindles or have the "large spindles" machined down to accept the smaller bearing, and brake rotors off an 80 f150 they are the same bearing spec and backspacing.

russelle

IH 74-75 100 and 200 trucks have 8 bolt flat top spindles. The driver side must be milled, drilled and tapped. PartsMike is the only way to go for this service and parts.
Eric