SF 60-61? help

Too Far

parts is parts
Well I went down the rabbit hole today. I was at the PnP for some front axle parts and also picked up a ford van SF 60 "I thought". Fell in love with the nice disk brakes and had to have it.
I guess this thing is a 61? Should have 35 spline shafts and c-clip axles. I guess the gears are the biggest problem with this axle, the diff tag shows 4.10 gears in this one.
Any one local running an axle like this?
I need to decide if I should keep and use this axle of cut it loose. It would be for the rear of my 4400 build.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I thought the 61 had a different pinion offset so higher gears (3.07) could be run. If yours has 4.10s my thoughts are that it wouldn't be a 61, just a SF 60. Do you have any pics of the axle? Maybe a BOM #?

Too Far

parts is parts
606023-5 is the bom on the diff tag.
I can't get that number to work, but did find 606022 which is for a '99 ford van. This axle came from a 2001 ford airport shuttle van. I have been researching this and the 61 did come with the 4.10 gears in these vans, but it is still the offset pinion, so regular 60 gears will not work. Some have used a ring gear spacer to install lower gears, and it seems to work well. It sounds like the pinion is offset .404" as compared to a 60. Reider used to make a spacer, but not any more. Mr. gasket has a thinner spacer, and I guess you could stack them. Ballistic fab can make a custom spacer, they have the CAD file and will cut it on request.
Sandy Cone makes spools that will fit a regular 60 gear, but they are pretty expensive, and I don't think it would work with the c-clip axle any way.
So, I guess I have a super beffy housing with huge tubes and nice disk brakes full of non standard parts.

Too Far

parts is parts
I will pull it apart this weekend and see what is inside.
Internet rumor has the shafts at 1.8" at the flanges necking down to 1.5" 35 slpine at the diff. I guess the proof will come when I can get it apart.

Too Far

parts is parts
I took a few minutes today to pull this axle apart.
It is a c-clip axle, 35 spline. 1.7" at outer bearing race with a pretty gradual taper down to 1.5" about an inch before the splines.
3.5" tubes and the HD smooth bottom center.
The disc brakes are pretty nice, and they have a little drum brake inside the disc for the park brake.
8 on 6.5" lug pattern.
The carrier has 42969 cast into it, havent tracked down the info in it yet.
The gear is 47609 and is 4.10 ratio.

All in all it looks like a good axle, and if I can figure out gears and a locker I will use it.