shackle reversal on a samurai

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
I just aquired a shackle reversal kit for my samurai. I was hoping to get some opinions about the usefullness of doing this conversion. And also some pro's and con's about the setup.

For now, I will not be doing a spring over lift, but I do plan to in the future. But for now, I figure I'll just take the two inches lift it provides on the front and throw shackles on the back.

I realize, that without much lift, I probably won't get much benifit from it, I am mostly concerned about any problems that may arise.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly apreciated

P

pokeyYJ

Having not worked on Sami's before, I will base my reply off of Jeep experience.

I was under the impression that with flat springs like the stock YJ ones, a shakle reversal won't do much good. The reasons that I had heard a shakle reversal was good, was to make it so the shakle moves with the force of the impact rather than against it.

But with flat springs when the springs goes into a negative or positive arch the shakle already moves with the force of impact. Because when it goes into an arch the spring get shorter therefor "pulling" the shakle back.

As for problems, The only one that I have heard of is kinda odd handling characteristics and front driveshaft issues.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Kurt says that's the only way he'll do it, " I don't play mess around". He loves it. If the front shaft acts up just get a shaft with dual u-joints.

Caleb

I think you'll get a lot of different opinions on SRS...the other side of the stick is that when you bump into an obstacle and the spring compresses you're actually pulling your tire away form the object, versus when the shackle is in the front when you bump the obstacle it forces your tires over...think about it, you'll see what I am talking about...I have heard they are great for State St. but not much else...this is all speaking from second hand and just pointing out the actual characteristics...:D

troutbum

cubi-kill
is a sammi heavy enough to even benefit from a SR??

I just made the decsion that the work outweighed the benefits. Bottom line is that there are good reasons to and good reasons not to. Largely personal preference. I decided against it because of drive shaft and firewall clearence issues.

I think SR is better on the road, at high speeds on washboards, and will save your springs some and you are less likely to rip a spring mount off the frame.

You will be more likely to use your drive shaft as a pogo stick, crack a transfer case output, lack front wheel traction in the front, hack the hell out of your firewall/fenderwells and (in a sammy :p) have a drive shaft that costs more than your whole rig

Like I said personal preference...

samizook

I used the shackle reverse set-up. I liked it. I didn't have any problems with my firewall? It did handle alot smoother while driving on the road. As far as off road goes, I think that the set up did quite well. It didn't push any rocks forward and out of the way either!

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Very intresting... thanks for the input..

I think that I will go ahead and install it. It is a bolt-on setup, so it isn't like I can't go back once I do it. Before I do any serious wheeling though, I will make sure to do a few tests to make sure I won't have any problems with my driveshaft... namly, having a friend jump up and down on the bumper while I watch how the driveline moves.

I would like it a lot if it handles better on the road and rough washerboard stuff too... I like to go fast while I still have little tires :)

I'll probably do a quick writeup eventualy (probably after the spring break moab adventure) and let people know how it worked out.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
post pics too. I watched a video at Smokincamel's, it was Jeremy's video, and some dude in a Jeep had SRS. Everytime he nudged o rock or anything for that matter, the whole axle would move,and he'd loose traction. But, personal preference is right. If it works thatn it works, if it doesn't, then I told you so.:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I love mine...and every customer that has one on his/her rig does as well. Landcruisers benefit greatly from SR's... I wouldn't run without it... I never notice any loss of traction.... but I do get a way better ride on and off-road. I look at it this way... All Toyota mini-trucks (pre-IFS) were SR from the factory... seems like they finally figured the benefits of a SR out. Sure you may need a high-travel front DL, but I needed one anyway due to my SOA... Other than that I love it. Not sure on samis, but I would give it a try...if anything you gain some approach angle...IMHO...:D

muleskinner

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
I love mine...and every customer that has one on his/her rig does as well. Landcruisers benefit greatly from SR's... I wouldn't run without it... I never notice any loss of traction.... but I do get a way better ride on and off-road. I look at it this way... All Toyota mini-trucks (pre-IFS) were SR from the factory... seems like they finally figured the benefits of a SR out. Sure you may need a high-travel front DL, but I needed one anyway due to my SOA... Other than that I love it. Not sure on samis, but I would give it a try...if anything you gain some approach angle...IMHO...:D

So is my '01 Powerstroke;)
I believe all Chevy(older solid axle) Ford, and Dodge all used (or use) shackle reversal.:) I changed my 66 fj40 and It was a 100% better. I'd do it. My .02

Last edited:

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Sure you may need a high-travel front DL, but I needed one anyway due to my SOA...

why did you need a long splined drive line because of SOA?

the factory did RS for ride purpose not wheelin purpose...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by muleskinner

So is my '01 Powerstroke;)
I believe all Chevy(older solid axle) Ford, and Dodge all used (or use) shackle reversal.:) I changed my 66 fj40 and It was a 100% better. I'd do it. My .02

All Fords are not. I do not know about the newer superduties but F350s were shackle in the front to 97.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg

why did you need a long splined drive line because of SOA?

the factory did RS for ride purpose not wheelin purpose... [/B]

I'm actualy not doing the SOA yet... thats still gona be a year or two down the road. I'm not going to do much more than this 2 inches of lift, though I probably will be doing a locker, and possibly even some gears... Yes, this will be a sleeper

muleskinner

Originally posted by bobdog

All Fords are not. I do not know about the newer superduties but F350s were shackle in the front to 97.

I didn't know that about the f350's. I've had a 78 f250 and it was SR and I had a 99SD f350 and it was a SR, and my 01 f250 is SR. :confused: