Shackle reverse???

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For!

I was going to do a SRS on my YJ (but never did) and heard that Road manners were the biggest improvement. There is always the debate as to weather or not you see a difference Offroad. Some say the shackle in back is better offroad and some say worse. I don't see a problem with it either way. Go for it, especially if you often drive it on the street.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I did a shackle reverse on mine when I did the SOA. Didn't notice a thing. You will notice a slight improvement in handling if you're running springs with a lot of arch to them, like sprung under and 4" of lift. There are a couple of definate downsides to the shackle reverse however. Assuming you're gonna wheel this thing, the front of the frame rails where the new hangers attached will begin to crack. I've never seen one yet that didn't crack. Some minor work on the rails will cure this problem. The front axle will move backwards durring compression or hard braking, so a longer slip yoke will be needed on your front drive shaft. Also, the front tires will move back more, hitting the inner fender wells. One other minor thing, when you jab on the brakes on the hiway, the front end will dive so far, you'll swear your front bumber is dragging on the street.

All things considered, I'd never do one again. They just plain aint worth the work.. Of course, this is just my oppion, and I've been known to be full of SH*T!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have one on my Cruiser and ended up going back to shackel in front. Biggest draw back IMO are, Contact pressure, and the need for a ultra long travel shaft.
When you flex you axel will drop froward and the shaft will need to be long if you have a rig tha flexs.

However I will say the on the pavment it is a good thing.

Whould I ever do it again,,, nope.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
OK I think you guys helped me decide it's not worth it. I don't mind the highway manners now and don't need any more problems on the trail side.

Thanks

grinch

inner city redneck
I did a shackle reversal on my cj 8 and it made a world of difference. I also used wrangler springs and moved the front axle a 1 inch further forward to so that might have also helped.