General Tech Shocks for Dummies

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Some shocks can be re-valved in case you don't get it right the first time. unfortunately they are usually pricey. I can get you within a few bucks of your needed price range on a set of FOA emulsion shocks though. These can be re-valved with no special tools.
http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_35&products_id=18

Looks like I was wrong again.

Those do indeed tempt my cheapskate genes. Are they charged via schrader valve like an air shock? How do these differ from an air shock? I see they list the options for valving the rebound and compression as "Extra light- Extra firm" how does one establish the baseline value? My Jeep weighs 4k lbs and is divided nearly equal front to rear weight bias. Would I start in the middle?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Looks like I was wrong again.

Those do indeed tempt my cheapskate genes. Are they charged via schrader valve like an air shock? How do these differ from an air shock? I see they list the options for valving the rebound and compression as "Extra light- Extra firm" how does one establish the baseline value? My Jeep weighs 4k lbs and is divided nearly equal front to rear weight bias. Would I start in the middle?

To change the valving you pull them apart and change out the shims. You have to put new oil in the shock and pressurize them. It is a little time consuming, but not hard. They are charged with a schrader valve. To establish a baseline I would talk to FOA and give them your vehicle weight, driving style, etc. They will valve it based on their experience. It won't work for everyone, but should get you close. I can do the legwork/phone calls when I am ordering for you. I can PM you a price that is better than they show on the website if you want.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
To change the valving you pull them apart and change out the shims. You have to put new oil in the shock and pressurize them. It is a little time consuming, but not hard. They are charged with a schrader valve. To establish a baseline I would talk to FOA and give them your vehicle weight, driving style, etc. They will valve it based on their experience. It won't work for everyone, but should get you close. I can do the legwork/phone calls when I am ordering for you. I can PM you a price that is better than they show on the website if you want.
Yes, want!