Shop lighting

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I need some advice on what lights to put up in my garage. I have 5 of the home depot cheapies, 40 inch fluorescent fixtures. One by one, they stop working, I'm assuming because of the cold. What fixtures will handle the cold winters and still be a able to fire? Cost is a very important factor. Thanks.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Home depot sells a fixture that will handle temps down to 20ish maybe lower. They use t8 size bulbs and are around $30each. The standard shop lights are good for about 60 degrees

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
8' HO (high output) fluorescent light fixture. I'm not sure where you will find the best price, but that is what you want.

Yeah, that's what you told me years ago, but I remember they were pretty pricey. Maybe I'll just buy one for now. :cool:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have the 8 foot HO fixures, and in my new space I put some 4' T5 fixtures. They'll also work in the cold, I'm told.

Neither are cheap, I'm afraid.

There's a thread on PBB about using recessed can lights with CFL bulbs....but by the time you get a boatload of cans you probably wouldn't save any money that way anyway.

muleskinner

Yeah, that's what you told me years ago

You should have listened
8dbf4872.jpg

muleskinner

Are you still working in Arizona? Are you seeing many animals? I went out this morning for a bit looking for Elk. I took the 204 and a Coyote call to give me something to do after scouting:D

abd9e449.jpg

Maybe it would be cheaper to heat your garage than to purchase new fixtures.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I don't think it is good to work on anything in cold weather unless it is absolutely necessary. Buy cheap fixtures and heat the garage.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Are you still working in Arizona? Are you seeing many animals? I went out this morning for a bit looking for Elk. I took the 204 and a Coyote call to give me something to do after scouting:D

abd9e449.jpg

Maybe it would be cheaper to heat your garage than to purchase new fixtures.

The wildfires down therethis spring shut us down for awhile. I've been back in SLC since may, probably wont be going back. What's your deal, are you moving permanently to beaver? Still have the stansbury house?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I don't think it is good to work on anything in cold weather unless it is absolutely necessary. Buy cheap fixtures and heat the garage.

I hear ya Jack, my thing is that I plan to build a shop in the back yard. So I hate to heat the attached garage as it will be for parking only. Just need to be able to see.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have one o these:
172645_lg.jpg

I'm kinda looking forward to being warm this winter, for a change. :cool: Plus, it's a TON quieter than the kerosene jet engine type.

rambrush

We have started using the T5's and they work pretty good. The T8's are more popular though and the old T12's are on the way out.
One shop did a light machine grey epoxy floor and light colored walls made for a lot of light.