Shortest wheelbase rig to make Upper Helldorado waterfall (unassisted?)

So I was thinking about this, and this obstacle has went from “must winch” to regularly driven these days…so, what is the shortest wheelbase that you have personally witnessed make the fall unassisted –no help from winch or strap? And I don’t mean “my sister’s cousin’s friend” folklore either.:p First hand either what you made or witnessed personally. Many stretched trail rigs and buggy’s make it, but what about the sleepers? I know Curtis McNail made it in that old CJ on leafs, it was stretched but I don’t think it was that long…?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I believe Curtis' rig was in the 107" range... I Lean's first buggy made it up, and I think it was around 103"-104", but I'm not sure.

I'm sure some nut-bag in a <100" rig has been up though... Just gotta find out who!:D Hopefully there's video too, cause that would be neat!

I believe Curtis' rig was in the 107" range... I Lean's first buggy made it up, and I think it was around 103"-104", but I'm not sure.

I'm sure some nut-bag in a <100" rig has been up though... Just gotta find out who!:D Hopefully there's video too, cause that would be neat!

:rofl: Exactly what I was thinking...I wanna see a stock WB CJ5 or Sammi hit it:ugh:

Seriously though, I think it's commendable the 101-103 buggies pulled it off, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of milder-non buggy rigs. Either way, it's interesting knowledge. and for that matter, I guess you could add so many other variables, water in tires, weight, etc....

I didnt realize Curtis' rig was that stretched....seems alot of regulars in the UH club are in the 106-112 range, so the shorter WBs are impressive, buggy or not.

Bart

Saw a 101" stretched TJ that had lots of rock rash make it last spring. It took a few tries and almost rolled backward on one, but he kept at it and made it. My 108" buggy made it easily.

1adam12

THE BEAST
what about motors? can it be done with a 4 banger? my dad drives vons old truck and wants to try it, can it be done?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
There was a video of a spidertrax buggy on POR years ago that did it the year it rained so hard, and I want to say it was real short--like 96" or something. Manual tranny, 4 banger, weighed like 2200 lbs.

didn't Scrapper make it up? Wasn't that rig something stupid like 92"?

Kell smith did it in his mini truck with a 4 banger. I don't necessarily endorse trying anything just because Kelly Smith did it though.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
what about motors? can it be done with a 4 banger? my dad drives vons old truck and wants to try it, can it be done?

I climbed it in nov & Im still running a 22re. I did need a squirt of nitrous though. I tried it a couple times with out the NOS, I think I could have made it if I ran 38" tires. the 42's take a bit more motor to turn them.

chadschoon

Ya Kelly can do it and he runs 38's but like Cody said, I wouldn't recomend doing it if just because Kelly did it either... :)

Saw a 101" stretched TJ that had lots of rock rash make it last spring. It took a few tries and almost rolled backward on one.

Now that is kinda what I was thinking...I would like to see that.

didn't Scrapper make it up? Wasn't that rig something stupid like 92"?

Kell smith did it in his mini truck with a 4 banger. I don't necessarily endorse trying anything just because Kelly Smith did it though.

92"? That is impressive...dont know who this Kelly is, but that is funny. Video?:greg: