Shower drain

OREGON85

from OREGON
A question for the plumbers on this forum...

My house is built on a slab and the previous owner put in a new shower and and just positioned the drain in the shower over the drain in the floor, but did not actually connect anything. Now if water comes out of the shower any bit faster than the drain flows it runs out over the floor. Is there any way to connect the drain without removing the shower pan?

Corban_White

Are the drains lined up? What kind of drain pipe does your house have? It might be possible but everything would have to work out just right.

del0075

to do it right, you need to take out the shower and break the concrete, and move the pipe to line up for the shower drain. how old is the house,

OREGON85

from OREGON
I think this is the last straw... we're probably going to end up putting in a tub and remodeling our bathroom. The house was built in '48 and the bathroom has been jerry-rigged in a number of odd ways by previous owners. I couldn't even begin to explain how weird the bathroom is laid out. Highlights include a shower that blocks half of the window and 6" from the front of the sink to the wall.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think this is the last straw... we're probably going to end up putting in a tub and remodeling our bathroom. The house was built in '48 and the bathroom has been jerry-rigged in a number of odd ways by previous owners. I couldn't even begin to explain how weird the bathroom is laid out. Highlights include a shower that blocks half of the window and 6" from the front of the sink to the wall.

Yikes. :eek:

That sounds sketchy.

Post pics! :D

del0075

Might be easier to rebuild the drain area in the fiberglass pan to match the drain pipe.

to do it right, without silicone or some other type sealer, the drain needs to be moved and hooked up with a 2 piece shower drain for a fiberglass type shower....

Corban_White

to do it right, without silicone or some other type sealer, the drain needs to be moved and hooked up with a 2 piece shower drain for a fiberglass type shower....
Even with a 2 (3) piece drain silicone should still be used.

And you are right, it does need to be lined up but it could possibly be done without chipping the concrete with his current setup.

However, it sounds like remodeling the whole thing is the best way to go.

chadschoon

A 2 piece drain should be used. They screw on from under the fiberglass base. It would have to be removed to be fixed. Pm me if you need anything.