Single axle trailer refreshing

The_Lobbster

Anybody recognize the name? I bought this from a neighbor for $300. MFG tag says
Tow Lite INC, SLC Utah, built in 7/78.

I’ve tried googling and digging, but no dice. Not that it’s a deal breaker, just wondering about them. The VIN tag took a scrape sometime in life, and is missing a few digits, also, didn’t get a title, so I’m trying to figure out what my best course of action is here. I’ve gotten titles made before, but I’ve always had a full VIN to go off of.

Also, see my emergency solution to seat the trashed beads on the one tire that wouldn’t hold air. I only had to go a mile and a half to get home, so I figured it would be okay til I can replace the tires and update the wheels and hubs. And I got home safe, so it did just fine!

IMG_9471.jpegIMG_9470.jpegIMG_9417.jpegIMG_9469.jpeg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Single axle trailers in utah are not titled, especially back then. I wouldn’t even worry about it, but you could got through the new vin process if you really want. But why pay the Gov more money, especially if they aren’t even asking for it.
It’s a simple process for a trailer. They’ll just give you a new vin plate to stick on.

I’d stick a new axle and springs under it. Very simple, and it will make the trailer value increase more than the axle cost. No one wants those axles and wheels.

Killer trailer for a great price though. I think you’ll be very happy with it.

The_Lobbster

Single axle trailers in utah are not titled, especially back then. I wouldn’t even worry about it, but you could got through the new vin process if you really want. But why pay the Gov more money, especially if they aren’t even asking for it.
It’s a simple process for a trailer. They’ll just give you a new vin plate to stick on.

I’d stick a new axle and springs under it. Very simple, and it will make the trailer value increase more than the axle cost. No one wants those axles and wheels.

I believe the current law is anything under 750 lbs is not titled? I’ll have to check. I suppose something that old makes sense though. The serial number on the plate has 10 visible digits. Even if it was all there, it seems like it would be too short to fit 17 digits.

I’ve been eyeing a brand new 7,000 torsion axle on KSL that happens to be the exact width, 78” frame width. He wants $600 and I’m trying to negotiate him.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I believe the current law is anything under 750 lbs is not titled?

You are right. But the dmv people don’t know that, and the police don’t know that. They will all tell you single axle, and not know anything about the weight. When I tried the register my single axle covered trailer once the dmv lady told me I was silly.

Wyoming does require registration for single axle trailers.. so they like to tack that on if you happen to get pulled over for something else though. Just fyi.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
At least half my friends with tandem axle trailers don’t register them and have never had an issue. I register mine cause it’s cheap and it allows me to insure it. If someone steals it I’ll make out like a bandit lol

Pike2350

The single axle thing is slightly incorrect. Most single axles trailers aren't heavy so they don't need it but technically it's the weight of the trailer that determines it. 750lbs being the threshold. I am sure single axles are mostly under (or around that) so thyme likely won't get hassled. When I bought mine the title (mfg thing) stated the weight at 1050 so I licensed mine just to not risk it...but I agree it is likely not an issue on single axles 90% of the time

The_Lobbster

This is definitely interesting. There’s no shackle. First pic seems (front of spring) appears to be slotted, like a slider almost? Or is it just boogered out from never having any slip/articulation joint? Other side of trailer is same way.

IMG_9489.jpeg

IMG_9487.jpeg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's new to me. I've seen one end of the spring sliding on the frame, just kinda "trapped" by a bolt....but not like your janky setup. 😅

The_Lobbster

I’ll be building new fenders as well, I have some 1/4” diamond tread, as well as lots of smooth 3/16”.

Has anybody built their own fenders and have some suggestions, designs, or ideas that they recommend? I’m thinking some sort of step at front and rear of the fender would be nice.

The_Lobbster

My recommendation for the fenders is don't use 3/16" or 1/4" because, holy crap!

There are several options for pre-stamped trailer fenders that I'd use for cost and simplicity.
I’ll have to see if I can find something on KSL. From experience, all the commercial thin fenders I’ve seen get trashed. I’d like to be able to stand on them without bending if necessary, I’m almost 300 lbs.

I bet my steel guy has some 1/8” drops I can use too.

Pile of parts

I built a tube style for mine years ago. I needed something I could drive over. I bent tube for the inside and outside and skinned it with 1/8". Way overkill for a regular trailer fender but works well for driving over and still keeping the top of the fender low so I can open a car door when hauling something other than the Jeep.
IMG_20160319_090803677.jpg

The_Lobbster

I built a tube style for mine years ago. I needed something I could drive over. I bent tube for the inside and outside and skinned it with 1/8". Way overkill for a regular trailer fender but works well for driving over and still keeping the top of the fender low so I can open a car door when hauling something other than the Jeep.
View attachment 165536
Looks really good!

I had drive over fenders on my old 24’ trailer, and loved how sturdy they were. I suppose I’ll probably never need them to drive over, but I’d rather not trash my fenders the first time I have some sort of accident.

IMG_0126.jpeg

Last edited: