Skylinerider's "sort of" build thread.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Just picked this up on Tuesday. The overall plan is to get out there and see what I can before it's gone.

2008 JKU Rubicon, 66k miles

It honestly doesn't need a whole lot of upgrades, but some things it does need

Won't go into 4 low, I have 2 high and 4 high, but I'm thinking it's just a bushing on the linkage seems fairly common on these, I'll tear into that this weekend.

Lights I want to upgrade to some better headlights, and I have some Warn flood lights that will go on the bumper as well.

Storage Not sure if I want a roof rack, or to look at an interior rack like THIS

Extra fuel There are a few that I'm looking at, maybe rotopax, or AEV's.

Winch It'll get a winch.

It's got 33" tires on it, and until I find a need to go bigger it will stay on this size.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
For once I had good timing. It hadn't even been detailed when I looked at it the first time. And it is a bushing ;) fixing it right now, should be good to go after a dinner break.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Getting started this morning. 4wd, lockers, swaybar, all working smoothly. Now I'm on to the lights:

And since I had an extra one of these in my box of TL stuff I threw it on the back.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Just a little update, Having put about 1000 miles on it so far, about half of that on the dirt, I'm seeing places for improvement.
1. Shocks, the procomp shocks the last owner put on it have got to go. I'm not sure what to get for a replacement just yet, any suggestions?
2. Headlights. The stock lights just aren't cutting it, I'm looking at THESE from Truck-lite.
3. Dual Batteries. This wasn't originally on my list, but after helping some campers jump their vehicle in the campground at GBNP and again at the caves, I'm thinking this will be a worthwhile upgrade, I like the National Luna system, but I just came across this system from Genesis Offroad http://www.genesisoffroad.com/store/JK-Dual-Battery-Kit.html and it seems like a good kit as well.

I love this vehicle. I miss some of the comfort features of my Commander, but I don't regret moving to the rubicon at all.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Nice buy, I recently bought one that's nearly identical...year, mileage etc, but less a/m on it already. For lights, I was looking at the same thing, but if I can find a good deal I'm going to try the JW Speaker LED's as I've read some of the trucklites have a V in both beams visible in the pattern. Here is some great info - http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Nice buy, I recently bought one that's nearly identical...year, mileage etc, but less a/m on it already. For lights, I was looking at the same thing, but if I can find a good deal I'm going to try the JW Speaker LED's as I've read some of the trucklites have a V in both beams visible in the pattern. Here is some great info - http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

Nice article. It's clear I need to look at a lot more headlight options before I make a decision. Those JW Speaker ones look awesome though.