SL Trib Editorial: Jeepers ruin spring break?

Caleb

embabe said:
...to submit our own rebuttal to the SL Tribune as they have a responsibility to give equal representation to both sides of the story.

uhm, no they dont...its not a story for one, its an opinion, for two they can be as eviro-slanted as they want...their paper, they can run it how they want. Nothing says they have to give equal representation. It might mean a smaller subscriber base (especialy around Utah) if they are extremely enviro-slanted...which lately they seem to be getting more and more slanted.

Inyon98

JP's Moab Cutie?
Supergper said:
uhm, no they dont...its not a story for one, its an opinion, for two they can be as eviro-slanted as they want...their paper, they can run it how they want. Nothing says they have to give equal representation. It might mean a smaller subscriber base (especialy around Utah) if they are extremely enviro-slanted...which lately they seem to be getting more and more slanted.

EXACTLY. Unfortunately, SUWA, the Sierra Club, and all other anti-access groups know exactly how to make us look bad in a flowery, we're-just-protecting-the-environment way, and the press eats it up. Funny how we always end up being the bad guys. . .

Inyon98

JP's Moab Cutie?
BTW, thanks to all of you who support Greenjeep in this. You guys are great. It's definitely been a big test! Land use is NOT easy. :eek:

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Cody said:
I think before everyone runs off and contacts him, we ought to get our facts straight. It's not going to look good if a bunch of people start sending him hate mail--especially with the writing capabilities of some people on here ;)

Lets get the facts straight then maybe have somone write an elequent response via email outlining his ass-hattedness.

I'd be happy to write it if nobody else wants to.

Cody

I also agree, and trust me, I'll keep you all posted.

"ass-hattedness" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Capt. Picky

quite
Similar but different

First of all, why this person contacted greenjeep, is beyond my ability to comprehend. The RR4W Land-Use Director is no more responsible to attend to that as he would be to assure that an adequate number of weiners were allocated for a Boy-Scout Cookout. Why not call upon the Local P.D., or in this instance the S.O.

Dave, you did the best you could I'm sure, but if it were me, I'd have told him to contact the S.O. and leave it at that. Whatever occurred is no more the responsibility/fault or province of the RR4W as is the coming and going of any number of celestial events. :D

Similar vein regarding the self importance of another professor extraordinarius:

A good number of years ago I was roaming about the western flank of Arches anticline and the "Copper Ridge Trail". I came upon a group of college age youngsters along with their professor (this one was from... ahem... Purdue). They were driving 60d nails into the joint cracks of the Moab Tongue sandstone, making measurements and such. When I mentioned that they were not only chipping away at this rock, but also had left a number of the nails unextracted, the Professor voiced that it was no business of mine; that they'd been doing this for years, etc. He failed to address the remaining nails and how they were going to extract them.

I was annoyed, but felt a tiny bit of satisfaction in expressing that "the study of these joint fractures were already well known and were textbook" :rolleyes:, that there were no new revelations to be made regarding them.

I left them to their nails. :D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Capt. Picky said:
First of all, why this person contacted greenjeep, is beyond my ability to comprehend. The RR4W Land-Use Director is no more responsible to attend to that as he would be to assure that an adequate number of weiners were allocated for a Boy-Scout Cookout. Why not call upon the Local P.D., or in this instance the S.O.

Dave, you did the best you could I'm sure, but if it were me, I'd have told him to contact the S.O. and leave it at that. Whatever occurred is no more the responsibility/fault or province of the RR4W as is the coming and going of any number of celestial events. :D

Agreed!

He did contact the Sheriff and the BLM, who gave them my name and number (thanks BLM :rolleyes: ) I think the main reason he contacted me was plain and simple, he wanted to B!TCH.

Beyond that there really is no reason!!

Capt. Picky

quite
Hmmm... that individual obviously wanted to gripe. I'm thinking that neither BLM or the S.O. would have volunteered to supply the 'complainant' with your number unless he so requested. Even then it seems to be reaching into the depths of inanity to do so. What the heck are the RR4W's to do about some "alleged vandalism by some alleged participants, or non-participants for that matter? The entire thing is ridiculous.

Nonetheless, it is fairly plain to me that this sort of thing lies within the province of law enforcement and not with some private 4-wheeling club.... :rolleyes:

Next time do this Dave: <sound effect> brr...brr...br </sound effect> :The number you have reached is not in service or has been temporarily disconnected... no further info is known about ###-####.... If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial the number.... CLICK." :D

Capt. Picky

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Capt. Picky said:
Next time do this Dave: <sound effect> brr...brr...br </sound effect> :The number you have reached is not in service or has been temporarily disconnected... no further info is known about ###-####.... If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial the number.... CLICK." :D

Capt. Picky
That's the best advice I've heard yet!! :rofl:

DToy

Cody said:
I think before everyone runs off and contacts him, we ought to get our facts straight. It's not going to look good if a bunch of people start sending him hate mail--especially with the writing capabilities of some people on here ;)

Lets get the facts straight then maybe have somone write an elequent response via email outlining his ass-hattedness.

I'd be happy to write it if nobody else wants to.

Cody

I think I found Mr. Freshwater's email address(I'll post it here if it turns out to be a valid email address). Here's the response I just sent to him:

"Dear Mr. Freshwater,

I feel the need to write in response to your editorial letter written to the Salt Lake Tribune entitled “Dangerous Jeep Week Hijinks Ruin Spring Break in Moab”. It is wonderful that you have discovered the wonders and beauty of the Moab area and that you have chosen to share it with your friends and acquaintances. I applaud the work that you do as a public school teacher…taking inner-city kids camping is truly a worthwhile and admirable activity. I was disturbed to read your account of the events that occurred during your recent trip to the Moab area. The purported destruction that occurred to your campsite and camping equipment should never have happened.

But I feel that your attack on the Red Rock 4 Wheelers and the “organizers of Jeep Week”, as you termed it, is completely inappropriate and misdirected. You were right to contact the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM. It is the responsibility of these agencies to police the recreation activities of individuals in and around the Moab area, not the “leaders of Jeep Week”. I suppose that if someone gets mugged or shot or stabbed during a basketball game at your school that it is the fault of you, the other school leaders, the basketball coach, the basketball players, and not the perpetrator, right? After all, it was the basketball game that invited the perpetrators to be in the vicinity, right? Should we cancel all inner-city basketball games because such an event could occur?

I feel that your harsh criticism of Dave Adams is irresponsible and uncalled for. It is not Mr. Adams’ fault that your campsite was damaged. Perhaps he was not as sympathetic as you would have liked. But did you bother to ask, or even consider, how many hours Dave, the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, and countless other four-wheeling enthusiasts have spent educating the four-wheeling community about Tread Lightly, staying on designated routes, respecting the environment, etc.? The fact is that the majority of participants in the Annual Jeep Safari are law-abiding, respectable individuals, and these same individuals take it upon themselves to self-police the event and to assist the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM in keeping things safe for everyone that is recreating in the area.

Did the Red Rock 4 Wheelers designate a trail route through your campsite and over your friend’s tent? I don’t think so. Did they tell all of the registered participants of the Jeep Safari to drive over every tent and campsite that they spotted? Certainly not! Why aren’t you blaming the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM for the damage to your campsite? After all, you were in “an official BLM campsite” right? Isn’t it the BLM’s fault for planning the campsite in an area accessible to motorized vehicles? Shouldn’t the Sheriff be patrolling every road, campsite, and trail so that no illegal activities occur?

I do not condone the damage that your party suffered. I do not discount the fact that someone could have been seriously injured or killed had they been in the campsite when the damage occurred. But quite frankly, this damage could have occurred on almost any weekend, in Moab or anywhere else. Some irresponsible, senseless individual made a conscious decision to drive through your campsite. This is disturbing and very unfortunate. But make no mistake, this is not the fault of the four-wheeling community as a whole, nor the “organizers of Jeep Week”. This is purely the fault of the individual that chose to act recklessly and irresponsibly. I suggest that you seek out the perpetrator of the crime rather than persecuting an organized event and its organizers.

I sincerely ask that you not blame the organizers of the Jeep Safari and the four-wheeling community at large for the alleged damage that occurred to your campsite. Rather than looking for someone to blame, perhaps you could put your thinking cap on and suggest some solutions to the problem. You’re a smart man, offer up your suggestions for avoiding such situations in the future. Criticism of the innocent accomplishes nothing. It will not ensure that this type of damage will not occur in the future. Give us some real solutions. Tell the Sheriff’s Office and BLM how to more effectively perform their duties. They are ultimately the parties responsible to police the area. Stop complaining and start being part of the solution. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “If you’re not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem”.

Darrell Fordham"

Sorry it's so long-winded. Comments, questions, suggestions are appreciated. I want to send this to the Trib, and possibly the D-news. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

JoeT

DToy said:
I think I found Mr. Freshwater's email address(I'll post it here if it turns out to be a valid email address). Here's the response I just sent to him:

"Dear Mr. Freshwater,

I feel the need to write in response to your editorial letter written to the Salt Lake Tribune entitled “Dangerous Jeep Week Hijinks Ruin Spring Break in Moab”. It is wonderful that you have discovered the wonders and beauty of the Moab area and that you have chosen to share it with your friends and acquaintances. I applaud the work that you do as a public school teacher…taking inner-city kids camping is truly a worthwhile and admirable activity. I was disturbed to read your account of the events that occurred during your recent trip to the Moab area. The purported destruction that occurred to your campsite and camping equipment should never have happened.

But I feel that your attack on the Red Rock 4 Wheelers and the “organizers of Jeep Week”, as you termed it, is completely inappropriate and misdirected. You were right to contact the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM. It is the responsibility of these agencies to police the recreation activities of individuals in and around the Moab area, not the “leaders of Jeep Week”. I suppose that if someone gets mugged or shot or stabbed during a basketball game at your school that it is the fault of you, the other school leaders, the basketball coach, the basketball players, and not the perpetrator, right? After all, it was the basketball game that invited the perpetrators to be in the vicinity, right? Should we cancel all inner-city basketball games because such an event could occur?

I feel that your harsh criticism of Dave Adams is irresponsible and uncalled for. It is not Mr. Adams’ fault that your campsite was damaged. Perhaps he was not as sympathetic as you would have liked. But did you bother to ask, or even consider, how many hours Dave, the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, and countless other four-wheeling enthusiasts have spent educating the four-wheeling community about Tread Lightly, staying on designated routes, respecting the environment, etc.? The fact is that the majority of participants in the Annual Jeep Safari are law-abiding, respectable individuals, and these same individuals take it upon themselves to self-police the event and to assist the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM in keeping things safe for everyone that is recreating in the area.

Did the Red Rock 4 Wheelers designate a trail route through your campsite and over your friend’s tent? I don’t think so. Did they tell all of the registered participants of the Jeep Safari to drive over every tent and campsite that they spotted? Certainly not! Why aren’t you blaming the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM for the damage to your campsite? After all, you were in “an official BLM campsite” right? Isn’t it the BLM’s fault for planning the campsite in an area accessible to motorized vehicles? Shouldn’t the Sheriff be patrolling every road, campsite, and trail so that no illegal activities occur?

I do not condone the damage that your party suffered. I do not discount the fact that someone could have been seriously injured or killed had they been in the campsite when the damage occurred. But quite frankly, this damage could have occurred on almost any weekend, in Moab or anywhere else. Some irresponsible, senseless individual made a conscious decision to drive through your campsite. This is disturbing and very unfortunate. But make no mistake, this is not the fault of the four-wheeling community as a whole, nor the “organizers of Jeep Week”. This is purely the fault of the individual that chose to act recklessly and irresponsibly. I suggest that you seek out the perpetrator of the crime rather than persecuting an organized event and its organizers.

I sincerely ask that you not blame the organizers of the Jeep Safari and the four-wheeling community at large for the alleged damage that occurred to your campsite. Rather than looking for someone to blame, perhaps you could put your thinking cap on and suggest some solutions to the problem. You’re a smart man, offer up your suggestions for avoiding such situations in the future. Criticism of the innocent accomplishes nothing. It will not ensure that this type of damage will not occur in the future. Give us some real solutions. Tell the Sheriff’s Office and BLM how to more effectively perform their duties. They are ultimately the parties responsible to police the area. Stop complaining and start being part of the solution. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “If you’re not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem”.

Darrell Fordham"

Sorry it's so long-winded. Comments, questions, suggestions are appreciated. I want to send this to the Trib, and possibly the D-news. Let me know what you guys think.
Perfect. :bow:

Inyon98

JP's Moab Cutie?
DToy said:

"Dear Mr. Freshwater,

Darrell Fordham"

:eek: Wow. I approve. Thanks. :)

Capt. Picky

quite
DToy said:
....I suppose that if someone gets mugged or shot or stabbed during a basketball game at your school that it is the fault of you, the other school leaders, the basketball coach, the basketball players, and not the perpetrator, right? After all, it was the basketball game that invited the perpetrators to be in the vicinity, right? Should we cancel all inner-city basketball games because such an event could occur?

....Why aren’t you blaming the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM for the damage to your campsite? After all, you were in “an official BLM campsite” right? Isn’t it the BLM’s fault for planning the campsite in an area accessible to motorized vehicles? Shouldn’t the Sheriff be patrolling every road, campsite, and trail so that no illegal activities occur?
That appears to be a very well expressed and thought out composition in the overall picture Dtoy, and you have my support.

The only reservations I have would be regarding parts of the above paragraphs. I've highlighted the points with which I feel differently about, or might have some differing observations and input about.

In a school - which is a contained area - there is a chance of overall control, which differs from being at an outdoor camping area / trail / private establishment or any other locale spread out throughout the entire Moab valley ot beyond.
What I'm suggesting is that while the Basketball players, coach and school leaders who are not *directly* involved in the given example offered, and therefore should themselves not be held directly responsible; that responsibilty falling directly upon the shoulders of the perpetrator(s) and whatever/whomever might have directly provoked (if provoked... and a stabbing/ violence is still not warranted; generally. Mugging is a different thing; it indicates a surprise attack, usually of an unprovoked nature. Just semi-technicalities here. But I'm not a lawyer. )

Taking that a step further, I'd say that while the increasing inconvenieces that burdens people in all areas is on the rise, one could have metal detectors or School or Professional Security Personnel to Prevent/Police such potential matters in an enclosed,well defined, demarcated area. Such would not apply to the random locations spread about in an outdoor environment. So then it folloes that there might be some responsibility which could possibly extend into the realm of those "in charge" if something would go awry. Again, I'm not an attorney; just guessing.

Next, the S.O. cannot be blamed for anything that happens. Law enforcement usually act after the fact. Let's assume they didn't see the perpetrator(s) in the act doing something *illegal*in advance or beforehand, for which they could have apprehended them. This isn't a Police State... yet.

They might have some administrative culpability and responsibility if they failed to act, investigate, follow-up, and so-forth on a complaint brought before them, after the fact/criminal action.
Also, the S.O cannot be everywhere, policing everything and everyone. That's just not a feasible reality. Do the math of the area size/ number of persons/ and the obviously limited Law enforcement presence. It is not likely, nor would I want it, or have to pay taxes to that degree, so as to have one Peace Officer for every person/ campsite/ road / trail/ restaurant, etc. etc.

So, my answer to the latter is NO... they S.O. or Police cannot and should not be policing *every road, campsite and trail*. I prefer my liberty under a non-police state; and the notion that this would ensure that *no illegal activities occur* is unlikely no matter what. People and the world are just like that, and crime has been around as long as has mankind.

Then as far as a BLM campsite and vehicular access is concerned. Unless you're camping in the backcountry in a Wilderness area, most campsites are going to have vehicular access. That's normal AFAIK; What good would it be to have only campsites where you have to lug all your stuff in by foot from a vehicle? I mean, most who camp here live somewhere else and use a vehicle to carry both themselves and their equipment.

Now, if you're suggesting that at all these dirt road campsites, that a parking area be established/ fenced-off preventing vehicular access whereby vehicular manslaughter/ property damage and then you haul your gear some 5 ~ 100 yards to get to a site, that's a different matter. I don't necessarily care for the idea. I also don't camp at or have need to camp at such sites. A poll should be taken or something which will address the needs/ desires of the affected parties regarding that one.

That's just my take on it. Still overall, I think the main content and gist of that which you wrote is of very high merit. I tip my hat to you for your thought and effort.

With kind regards,
Capt. Picky

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Dtoy, I think you did an excellant job of getting across our point without personally attacking him. Please post any response you get.

And thank you very much for this,

"I feel that your harsh criticism of Dave Adams is irresponsible and uncalled for. It is not Mr. Adams’ fault that your campsite was damaged. Perhaps he was not as sympathetic as you would have liked. But did you bother to ask, or even consider, how many hours Dave, the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, and countless other four-wheeling enthusiasts have spent educating the four-wheeling community about Tread Lightly, staying on designated routes, respecting the environment, etc.? The fact is that the majority of participants in the Annual Jeep Safari are law-abiding, respectable individuals, and these same individuals take it upon themselves to self-police the event and to assist the Sheriff’s Department and the BLM in keeping things safe for everyone that is recreating in the area."

That meant a lot to me personally!!!