Smoke smell removal

Tebbsjeep

Are there detail shops that can fully get cigarette smell out of a vehicle? I came across a deal on a Rubicon, but it's been smoked in. Which is usually a deal breaker for me, but the deal is good enough that I'd pick it up if the smell can be removed.

Does the smell only attach to soft materials, or does it permeate plastics as well?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It does, but it fades from the plastics much faster.

When I quit smoking, I couldn't tolerate the smell of my Explorer until I took all the seats and carpet and headliner out, hit them with baking soda and left them out in the sun for a couple days. When I vacuumed them and put them back in, the smell was almost completely gone. Another round of baking soda/vacuuming killed it.

YMMV.

Tebbsjeep

Being a Wrangler, I think a new carpet kit and getting the seats thoroughly detailed would get rid of it. I'm not sure how to get the smell out from dash plastics. Or if that would even be an issue.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I've bought a couple smoked in vehicles. I leave the windows down for a while, and stay on top of odor sprays and it clears out in a reasonable time.

Trate D

Try filling up a couple cups of white vinegar and leaving them in the vehicle with the windows up. I did it overnight one time and during a warmer day the next time.

I recently bought a little run around car that had been sitting for a while and had a bit of a funk to it. After doing this two different times it’s not noticeable at all anymore. This clearly wasn’t a smoke problem but it’s something cheap and easy to try.

str8axleguy

I had young Chevrolet use a de-ionizer on my last pickup that was smoked in. I’d say they got 90% of the smell gone in 24hrs. My sister owns the truck now and you can still faintly smell smoke after it sits in the heat.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have had excellent luck using Neutroleum Alpha. It's available from the Division of Wildlife Resources. You can just walk into the office on North Temple and buy a bottle. It's a little intimidating as it comes in a mad scientist looking glass bottle protected by a styrofoam shell, but it works amazingly well. It's what they use to eliminate odor from skunks and roadkill I'm told. I actually like the scent it leaves behind too (minty-ish).

Call ahead to make sure they have some. IIRC they get it in small batches and it isn't always on the shelf.

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources - Salt Lake City Office
(801) 538-4700

https://g.co/kgs/Pk35Wwk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Try filling up a couple cups of white vinegar and leaving them in the vehicle with the windows up. I did it overnight one time and during a warmer day the next time.

I recently bought a little run around car that had been sitting for a while and had a bit of a funk to it. After doing this two different times it’s not noticeable at all anymore. This clearly wasn’t a smoke problem but it’s something cheap and easy to try.
I mix water with vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it all around my house after we cook smelly foods. It’s the best way to get rid of smells. I’ve done it in vehicles as well with great results but I think ozone machine for something that’s been smoked in heavily