Snakes 4-4-09

zukking01

Me, my brother in law and only our rig were at snakes. We waited in the parking lot for 1/2hr before deciding to go up. Not the smartest thing to do but we went for it. It was going to be a test run for the vehicles SAS just barely finished.

We were doing great and my confidence was increasing in the $1500 budget build rig right up until this happened.......

I stopped moving and found out that my from driveline bolts had all 4 sheared off and left me with 2wd high only.
Picture002.jpg

This is what I had to get out of with only 2wd high. Dosent look that bad but it is worse in person and I had no spares, parts, cell reception, or other drivers to help. I was SCREWED!!! (tools and parts are my fault)
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

I ended up having my brother in law pushing the vehicle from the front and me gunning it in reverse until we finally got off the hill. Another great part was the main wire was broke and repaired with electric tape and then hidden by the previous owner. Took a while to find out why once I turned off the vehicle that there was no power. We made it out and will be better prepared next time.

notajeep

Just me
Lol. Good times right there. When you replace your bolts, be sure to get the corect metric ones, or, even better, IMO, drill them out to take a standard larger 3/8 bolt.

zukking01

Lol. Good times right there. When you replace your bolts, be sure to get the corect metric ones, or, even better, IMO, drill them out to take a standard larger 3/8 bolt.

I was pissed and searched the garage for some and found 5, now I will have it up and ready for Easter weekend at the snakes.

choptopbII

i was going to go out there yesterday (i carry a bag of yota driveline bolts at all times) i could have had you up and running like nothing. dang!

zukking01

I have never sheared off the bolts and I'm running 42's behind a 4.3 Vortec. They had to be loose or something.

Yes I did find them and they are sheared off. They were a standard bolt with thread all the way and grade 5 so I am not suprised. This was also my fault on the bolts. Live and learn.

notajeep

Just me
If they were standard then you were using 5/16 which is just a little smaller than the 10mm stock bolts. That is why they broke. Drill out the flanges and use some 3/8 grade 8 bolts so you can start break birfeilds.

Hey zukking01, this is Jaron the guy in the black samurai that you were wheeling with on saturday. I loved that pic of me in that hole. you need to post those pics i am getting all anxious to see them.

mhudson

YEEHAY
why not figure a way to strap or tie off the front dl up so you could use it to get out. Or better yet. take it off. I ran my runner that way a few time. I sheared the ujoint with no tools or spares. I took someo bailing wire i found on the trail and tied it off. Leave a little room for the dl to spin. stay off the power as much you can and get out. Why burn up everythign to use 2h. That is why god made 4 low. take the hubs out, tie off the driveline (hell bungie it up) the have at it. It is temp till you can get back on the flatt and use 2h.

Oh. If you need extra bolts that are the STOCKERS. I have about a thousand of them. I bought them at Menlove dodge on a deal. .25 cents each for a box of two thousand.

mhudson

YEEHAY
Wait? You spent $500 on bolts.

perty close it was like 450 or so a few years back. I had a scout II that used the same sized bolts for the rear toyota axle. Plus being mostlya toyota guy. You can never have enough odd things that they only make for a year then stop.