snow cave locations

blznnp

I will be taking some scouts up into the mountains to do some snow caves in a month, was just wondering if anyone has doing any snow caves in the area and if you have anywhere that you would recommend us heading up to to build them. I haven't been up in the mountains a whole lot here in the two years I have lived here so any insight is helpful.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I always went up Farmington Canyon as a scout too. Not sure if you want to go that far, or if there will be enough snow in a month, but that is the only Place I ever went.

That sucks that they closed the road down low though. That is news to me.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I always went up Farmington Canyon as a scout too. Not sure if you want to go that far, or if there will be enough snow in a month, but that is the only Place I ever went.

That sucks that they closed the road down low though. That is news to me.
Rumor has it that its the Farmington City Fire Chief that wants it closed do to the fact that he doesnt want to have to rescue anyone up there any more.

blznnp

that wouldn't be that far for us to drive, I just want to make sure we get up to some good areas to build the caves. But since it is closed, we will see.

Caleb

I doubt there's enough snow up there yet but we used to go up AFC as scouts. We also did Strawberry a few times as well.

blznnp

So we can come to your back yard and do them then deviant?

I doubt there's enough snow up there yet but we used to go up AFC as scouts. We also did Strawberry a few times as well.
So what parts of AFC are closed during the winter?

Houndoc

I think about anywhere there is snow should work...as a scout snowmobiled in above Kamas. As an adult went a couple times above Liberty.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
We used to do winter camps up Bells Canyon above the reservoir. Sometimes there was enough snow for caves, other times we camped in the boulder fields in the crevices between huge boulders. its a bit of a hike though.

The Spruces/ Doughnut Falls area was always good for snow caves also.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Where ever you go, if you run across any goblins, I mean snowcaves already formed, you must resist the urge to knock them down! Unless of course they pose an immediate danger of falling on a scout or anyone else in the area. Instead it might be helpful to put up signage informing others of the dangers of these creations. Good luck out there to all scout leaders! :rofl:

blznnp

Where ever you go, if you run across any goblins, I mean snowcaves already formed, you must resist the urge to knock them down! Unless of course they pose an immediate danger of falling on a scout or anyone else in the area. Instead it might be helpful to put up signage informing others of the dangers of these creations. Good luck out there to all scout leaders! :rofl:
Ha, will do.

Doesn't matter to me if we need to hike in, as long as we don't have to do it through 2 feet of snow, I just want to make sure we find somewhere with good amount of snow an good compact. First time I did one I found out we only had a foot or two of snow before I hit the side of a hill, that was in Washington though an was a bad snow year. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Team1k

Little late here but what about skyline drive starting from the spanish fork canyon section? I havent been there in the summer but it was covered in lots of snow the couple times i was there last winter and was still passible by stock rigs that came with us(stock JK, stock 4 runner). The stockers usually only went to the big deep bend in the road(still a good ways up) but there were a couple pull out spots before it that seemed like they were camping spots. Maybe someone who has been there in the summer could validate that. I know ive been planning to get back up there this winter to camp, just need to make it happen. The snow was great for snowballs so i imagine snowcaves should be possible.

small.jpgsmall2.jpg