So my dog had a seizure today..

Caleb

When I was younger, we had a cocker spaniel that would regularly have seizures. We were always told there are a few breeds it's worse in, and purebred dogs were often more prone to them because a lot of purebreds end up having a lot of inbreeding. Not sure if any of that was true or not. We had tried a few meds but nothing helped so we'd just tried to make sure she wouldn't hurt herself when having one. Over the years, she did end up with a droopy left side of her face but the seizures didn't kill her.

Houndoc

What seizure drugs do you recommend? Phenobarbitol or is there something better in your opinion? Are there any vets that specialize in this, or is treatment pretty standard? What would be the ball park price for a MRI be? I was quoted approximately 1700.

Phenobarbital is my first drug of choice. Cheap, effective in the majority with minimal serious side effects (most will drink and urinate more and gain weight if not careful.) Occasionally can cause liver problems, but not usually an issue with occasional blood work (every 6-12 months in most cases.) There are other drugs that can be used if needed.

Most vets are comfortable treating seizures. I think there may be one veterinary neurologist in the state, but to be honest I am not sure if he is still around or not (shows how often I refer to him.)

I am not certain on the MRI, was thinking a little less than you said, but would have to call if you are interested to make sure.

Houndoc

Our "son" Brandon recently started having small seizures. He'll suddenly start twitching (usually in his torso area, not a limb) and it will last for maybe 5 seconds or so and then stop. It has become common, happening multiple times each day.

Maybe I'll have to bring him in to see you.

Good to have him seen early on so we can monitor and have a good baseline of his health.