Somewhere to start!!!

Utahtrucker

6" Rough Country suspension lift( really on the fence betweeen the 2" leveling kit, or the 4" lift,6" might be too much)

Road Armor Front Stealth winch bumper(Ecoboost compatible)

SmittyBilt-X20 12K comp series wireless winch

Still trying to track down some decent 18" wheels or I'm on the fence to stay with 20's
305's are just soo expensive!!! like the bigger sidewalls on an 18"

rholbrook

Stay with leveling the front. Your gas mileage will drop like crazy with anything bigger. I ran 325s on a 22" wheel on my last F150 and cleared just fine. Once you get over a 33" tire, prices climb like crazy.

Utahtrucker

I was going to put some 18" rims on it. And put an lt mud tire on it.my goals were to make capable of exploring off the beaten path, trails,moab, etc!!!

Utahtrucker

GOAL's:

Looking for more clearance I will get with bigger tires, leveling kit will work ok with out goin too overboard,Bumper and winch to pull myself and other's out of jams.

Or

( I have entertained this option frequently)
should I look at buying a CJ/XJ/YJ and start rebuilding from the ground up, so I can use it for expedition runs thru Utah and surrounding states?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
But what is it?

A late model F150.

GOAL's:

Looking for more clearance I will get with bigger tires, leveling kit will work ok with out goin too overboard,Bumper and winch to pull myself and other's out of jams.

Or

( I have entertained this option frequently)
should I look at buying a CJ/XJ/YJ and start rebuilding from the ground up, so I can use it for expedition runs thru Utah and surrounding states?

Can you provide an example of exactly which trails or areas you want to visit? I think your truck is too long and wide for legit rockcrawling trails no matter how much you lift it, and I think you don't need all that lift and tires you're talking about for backcountry exploring and mild trails. I think level it with 33s and you'll get to 99.9% of the places you can take a truck in Utah. Pick up a Jeep for the other .1%. :D

Utahtrucker

Axe it all for the truck, wife says if you want a Jeep go look for one!!!!

I'm looking for 1975-1979 CJ5 Renegade, like the one my mother gave away. While I was deployed in 1990-91, she was tired of it sitting in her driveway!!!

Last edited:

Bart

Not sure I should bite on this, but here goes. The CJ5 is probably the worst expedition rig you could build. Leaf spring ride, short narrow wheelbase, extremely limited cargo space, the list goes on and on. If you're set on a CJ5 then narrow your search to 76 through 79. There were changes in 76 that made them better.

Utahtrucker

well the one I lost was a 1979 Renegade, but i'm seeing more vehichles in the wrangler era for a decent price range, then I can go thru them!!!

Utahtrucker

10317732_10202543162474066_608799147044749665_o.jpg
well even though im looking for a jeep, I'm still putting a leveling kits on the Ford and looking at the duratrack's by goodyear!!

StevenS10

I got my '95 Cherokee because it was better than the '86 S-Blazer I wanted for the same $350, to replace my '94 Camaro daily driver. I had to buy without trying, but once I drove it home, I loved it! I've ridden in a newer Cherokee, but driving my own was different somehow. It has the same problem as the S-Blazer in the smallness of the wheelwells. If I could have gotten a square-headlights Wrangler I would have. The S-Blazer has the advantage of a real frame. I once borrowed an early Explorer for a few months, hated it. But it has big wheelwells, an excellent rear axle, and a proper frame.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Utahtrucker and StevenS-10 your invited to the RME training day event in April. (thread posted)
Plenty of people to meet and wheel with and see what your rigs can do. Hope to see you there.