South Main Auto YouTube channel

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
In the last several weeks of watching YouTube vids while sitting on my butt with my leg elevated I found a great channel.
For in-depth insight into how to diagnose and repair cars and trucks, check out the South Main Auto channel
I like that some of the videos take you step-by-step from the symptoms to checking the easy stuff to what electric signals to look at and how to interpret them.
Granted he has a shop full of professional diagnostic tools which come with a professional price tag, but it's great to watch an expert use them effectively and not just throw parts at it like some/most places. After watching him I am now very comfortable paying a good shop for their diagnosis time. Shame he's in upstate New York.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
diagnostics time is unfortunately often disregarded by people who have no idea how much time it can sometimes take to troubleshoot an issue. I spent 5 years as a motorcycle mechanic and almost always people would complain about diagnostic time for odd issues. Usually we would just get agreement for 1 hour labor up front which is generally enough time to troubleshoot just about anything. Of course, we would only charge for the actual troubleshooting time if it was less than 1 hour.