Specs for the play between splines?

Caleb

little to none :D...I dont have numbers sorry, but I do know that there really shouldn;t be much at all...much more than none and you will wear them out quite quickly...

81Ramchargerman

Well, I guess I'll take it easy and save a little money for a new one. The rear driveline looks pretty new as does the front. Thanks, I don't even know if there is a spec or if there should be any play at all, but it is in the actual splines, so I guess I'll plan on fixin that too.

Caleb

81Ramchargerman said:
Well, I guess I'll take it easy and save a little money for a new one. The rear driveline looks pretty new as does the front. Thanks, I don't even know if there is a spec or if there should be any play at all, but it is in the actual splines, so I guess I'll plan on fixin that too.

are you sure the play is in the splines and not in the gears (diff and/or t-case) or chain in the t-case if it has one?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
81Ramchargerman said:
Yeah, I'm sure. I held the slip yoke and felt the play in the splines themselves.

Play in a slip yoke is not uncommon at all. As a matter of fact, all new Ford and Chevy truck slip yokes have play. How do I know you ask? Because I have people complain all the time about a reverse to drive clunk. The clunk is caused by the play between the slip yoke splines and the output shaft. Ford and GM's official fix is to lube the splines with teflon grease.

Think about it, you can't even logically have a tight fit slip yoke....how would the yoke slip and not bind? I wouldn't worry about it unless it is extremely excessive. my .002 ;)

Meat_

Banned
If it's a bit sloppy on the twist you're alright. It's when you get side to side slop that you need to start saving and stop driving ;)