South-West Utah Spring Fling in Kanab, June 8th & 9th

Don B

formerly rebarguy
4x4 Spring Fling in Kanab
When; June 8th & 9th, 2013
Where; Kanab, Utah
Canyon Country 4x4 Club would like to invite 4-wheel drive enthusiasts from all over to join us in a fun, family oriented trail ride in the Hog Canyon Trail System just outside of Kanab.
Trails ranging from 3/10 to 6/10. Most trails are suitable for mildly modified rigs. 33” tires and one locker will get you through all but the hardest trail. Stock vehicles and new drivers are welcome and encouraged.
There will be no charge for the trail rides. A dinner and drawing will be held at the City Park in Kanab Saturday evening.
Dinner will be $10.00
A set of tires will be given away at the drawing.

Meet at the kiosk in Hog Canyon. Drivers meeting at 9:00 am
Watch our website for more information
www.canyoncountry4x4club.com
Contact; Don Black (435)819-0061

Last edited:

Don B

formerly rebarguy
No sign up, but it would help if people let me know they are coming so we know what to expect.

I'll post up some trail descriptions soon.

Room booked, trailer reserved. What trail would be good for my son's locked YJ with stock axles? (capable but not durable) He's done Elephant Hill, AF canyon, Rose Garden, Hells Revenge and Steel Bender in the YJ (and a few others in my Scrambler)

larrybenny

larrybenny
I will be coming down on friday in our motorhome, towing the jeep on a trailer, staying till monday. Can we stay at the Hog canyon trailhead?, don't need hookups. Jack, when I stayed in a motel last year, the rates were very reasonable ($50-$70 a night)

Don B

formerly rebarguy
You can park and camp at the Hog Canyon staging area, but it's about a half mile off highway 89 on a dirt road. If you don't mind taking a motor home on the dirt, great. The flat area next to the highway where you turn off into Hog Canyon is private property and I can't tell anyone that it is okay to park there.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Coming up this Saturday. Hoping to see some RME'rs there.

Another place to Camp with a motorhome would be the Peekaboo trailhead on highway 89 a few miles north of Hog Canyon. I've seen a few camped ther lately and it's right off the paved highway.

We will do a trail for stock vehicles and new drivers if we have anyone who wants it. Grand prize at the drawing is a set of tires, your choice of size up to 33". Tickets for the drawing are $5. each or you can get 5 tickets for $20. Cost for the dinner is $10.

No sign up, just show up Saturday morning and have a great time.

DAA

Don, having never been to Hog Canyon, is there a staging area or something obvious to look for Sat. morning? And any particular time to show up? From what you posted here ealier, I think the Savage Point trail sounds good. My Jeep is capable enough, but it's my main vehicle right now and needs to get us back home and me to work the following Monday, so not looking to break it.

We'll be getting to Kanab on Thur. afternoon. Probably going to drive the Barracks trail on Friday - just my family in my Jeep, if anyone else is interested in joining, shoot me a PM.

- DAA

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Dave, look for the sand quarry/ open area about 1 1/2 mile north of Kanab on Hwy 89 on the east side. That's the turnoff to Hog Canyon. There is also a sign on 89 now at the turnoff. We have a staging area about 1/2 mile up the Canyon where we'll be meeting Saturday morning. We want to have the drivers meeting at 9:00 am. You shouldn't have any problem with running the Savage Point trail and still driving home, I take my DD ZJ on it on a regular basis and never break it on that trail. We will also do the Tom's Canyon trail which is more difficult, maybe a 6/10 where we have people sometimes break or tip over.

Don, having never been to Hog Canyon, is there a staging area or something obvious to look for Sat. morning? And any particular time to show up? From what you posted here ealier, I think the Savage Point trail sounds good. My Jeep is capable enough, but it's my main vehicle right now and needs to get us back home and me to work the following Monday, so not looking to break it.

We'll be getting to Kanab on Thur. afternoon. Probably going to drive the Barracks trail on Friday - just my family in my Jeep, if anyone else is interested in joining, shoot me a PM.

- DAA

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Steve,
If you have one of the BLM route maps, the Barracks trail is route #20 all the way through. You can start at either the Elephant Cove trailhead or the turnoff by Mt.Carmel Junction. (The more difficult way due to the big sand hill) The water right now is very low.

Dave, do you mind recording the GPS tracks of Barracks trail? I plan on running it soon.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is beginning to be too much of a habit. I will not be able to make it this year so you guys take plenty of pictures.