Start calling and writing

allterrain

AllTerrain
SUWA are masters at the PR game. They used to send college students door to door asking people if they would support protecting endangered animals and land from becoming paved over with asphalt and having big commercial buildings all over the desert. Of course people got a warm fuzzy supporting that and fork over cash and drink the koolaid.
They use scare tactics and skewed facts to support their side and are heavily funded and run by attorneys.

So many times I have seen tracks in sand washes used to show massive resource "damage" by OHV's in slide shows, websites and even in court. One rain or wind storm and their evidence is gone. Has SUWA ever seen what a flash flood does to a desert? Sure they have, but it's all a game of public perception and they know how to play to get their way. They use young, passionate students and out of state folks who have never been to the "Red Rock Wilderness" and pump them full of their carefully crafted position to become disciples for their wilderness agenda.

I have been battling them for over 10 years now and every few years they recycle the same old arguments and recruit new followers. The qualification for wilderness designation is clear, but they keep finding "new" wilderness. They are a festering wound that won't go away and keep costing you and me tons of money. They will sue the FS and BLM for not doing their jobs (costing $) and the under funded gov't agency is forced to close areas because they don't have the money or man power to fight back or bow to the demands of SUWA. So SUWA wins anyway when they give up and put in a gate.

GRRRRRRR...

Last edited:

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I wrote the Wyoming rep (who is serving on the board). Here is what I recieved back:

Dear Wyatt:

Thank you for sharing with me your views regarding H.R. 1925, "America's Red Rock Wilderness Act." I appreciate hearing from you.

When considering land management decisions in the west, particularly federal designations such as this one that would significantly reduce the scope of allowable uses on public lands in the area, I strongly believe that good policy making comes from the ground up. It requires public input, open and transparent debate, and rolling up our sleeves to find consensus. This legislation, much like the Northern Rockies Protection Act (H.R. 980), takes the opposite approach by attempting to replace a balanced and multiple-use framework to public land management in the west with a top-down set of restrictive mandates.

As you may know, this bill would designate millions of acres in Utah as wilderness, all without the consultation or consent of Utah's congressional delegation, locally elected officials in Utah, or even the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) that would have to manage the lands once designated. Much of the acreage proposed to be set aside in the bill would not even qualify as "wilderness quality" under the 1964 Wilderness Act. In addition, there are significant private property concerns created by the legislation. For these reasons, while Rep. Hinchey (D-NY) has introduced this legislation every Congress for well over a decade, it has never enjoyed any significant momentum in the House.

Good stewardship of the land is a Wyoming value and one I hold in the highest regard. This bill neither accomplishes that goal, nor takes into proper consideration the viewpoints of the land managers and communities at the local level most impacted by the proposal. For that reason, I oppose this misguided bill.

Again, thank you for your input. Please continue to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

z

Cynthia M. Lummis

Member of Congress

This is the one state I've lived where I can seriously say I am proud of my elected representatives.

Thats one vote against the bill at least.