Stay the trail... Utah edition?

sixstringsteve

I just gotta say, Colorado knows what's up! staythetrail.org is a FANTASTIC resource. What would it take to get something similar going in Utah?

I started the quarterly training day to address these issues, but if we had a well-used website, the training days would be largely irrelevant, and hopefully we'd have people understanding more about how to responsibly recreate.

Here's what I love about staythetrail.org

- a clear, professional looking website built with usability in mind. Good design, not too cluttered.
- an intro video explaining basic wheeling principles
- a news feed with upcoming news info
- a list/map of places to wheel
- seasonal road closure info
- an online guide/electronic viewer of maps by area: http://staythetrail.org/maps/index.php
- links to official motor vehicle use maps of each area http://staythetrail.org/mvum/index.php
- educational pamphlet about trail use/ettiquette
- publications/promo materials
- contact info
- trail patrol

I know my "what can we do" threads get people mad, that's not my intention. I think we need a resource like this. Usa-ALL has a great start, and I think partnering with other motorized access groups is a great idea. I'm sure U4 has some great resources to contribute to this. I know RET32 is working hard on documenting our maps, it'd be great if it all came together in one place.

I don't think we need monthly board meetings to make this happen, we just need some dedicated people who would be willing to get the ball rolling. Start a website and get it going from there. I know it'll take us years to get to the point Colorado is at, but I think it'd be great to get started. I'll be getting in contact with staythetrail.org to learn some of their lessons learned and see where to get started. I just thought I'd put it out there. If you're interested in contributing, post up.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The more I look at Colorado, the more envious I am of their fantastic network of trails of all levels, all over the state.

What would it take to build something like the Skidmap, but for 4WD/OHV use? Obviously the trail data, but how do you program such a thing? Who hosts and maintains it? A single go-to source for trail data would be bad-ass by itself, but could be an awesome way to promote responsible trail use and help drive support to U4, Usa-ALL, and other land use orgs.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Only problem I see is that there is a huge difference in perspective & culture between UT and CO. This works for "THEM", but not necessarily for "US". The 'Stay Trail Group' is a foundation who is trying to educate people while utilizing a cross section of major state organizations who are all involved in recreational management in some way shape or form (not sure I wanna touch that with a 10' pole). From what I've learned, a lot of politics in UT are taking away recreational access and it might be an act of god to get the said groups together and tax payers money/grants set aside to do this type of activity.

"Stay The Trail is a program of the Responsible Recreation Foundation.
The program’s committee includesColorado State Parks, the Bureau of Land Management, the USDA Forest Service, the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition (COHVCO), and representatives of other motorized and non-motorized user groups. The Responsible Recreation Foundation is a 501(c)(3) educational foundation. Donations are tax deductable to the extent allowed by law."

I agree and my perspective is that private groups would get a lot farther with the creation and development of an educational website that pulls together references/literature from multiple entities around Utah. It takes a lot of initial work and never ending work to maintain it. I would try to talk with others that have been networked into all those government groups to see what’s holding back the deveopment of this type of pro-active and informative site. First step would be finding someone to write a grant and who to sent it to... Possibly call and schedule a meeting with CO 'Stay the Trail' program to get detailed information on how their group came about, hurdles they encountered in creating the group, government officials that received their grant and so on.

With that said, I would be interested in being a part of the meeting/phone conference with the CO Stay Trail group, possilbly pulling technical literature together from other sites for deveopment of the UT site, and being active in attending calander scheduled activities for the furture.

this is what I use all the time:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

and supporting UT trail map:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What a great video they have.. More info in there then most people even know!- all in a couple minutes

I would also be very interested in being a part of the development.. even though I have no skills :-\

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've got emails in to staythetrail and usa-all. I don't need to be the project lead, but I like where this is headed. I appreciate the feedback, I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to gov't agencies and the technology of embedded maps and all that. I'll dig around and see what I can find. We use the staythetrail info in our Quarterly Training Day, but it'd be great to be able to point to a local Utah site.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Stay The Trail has been at it for many years and a great amount of resources both time and money have been involved with the undertaking. Like Colorado, and undertaking would require full cooperation with the FS, BLM, State and NPS, etc... something far from the scope of Usa-All. In my opinion it would be a drain of resources to start fresh in Utah, rather pair with Tread Lightl, seek a franchise option from Stay the Trail or resurrect the Utah Trail Patrol.

ret32

...Tread Lightl[y]... or resurrect the Utah Trail Patrol.
Similar to what I was about to type. Tread Lightly's focus/ efforts are very similar. Utah Trail Patrol still exists, it is currently managed/ run by the Utah State Parks OHV Division, but it is not supported very well by the 4x4 user groups. I think a few ATV clubs are active with them. To my knowledge, MFFW and Canyon Country 4x4 are the only 4x4 clubs that reports back to Trail Patrol regularly. U4WDA also has been reporting U4 sponsored cleanups to them as well.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would investigate all and see which has the most promise not only for the immediate future but for long term continuity. After all outdated maps showing old route status could be worse than no maps at all as they assume on official status with some. The U4WDA is another potential option, U4 has proven it can't be killed and has good contacts with various land managers throughout the state. Tread Lightly has the best funding and started as a charter of the BLM/FS thus an operating agreement would be a no brainer and Colorado's STT has a proven system that is working. UTP was a valid and on task group that had working relationships with land managers, I think it has the most potential as far as an education & patrol type resource.

Steve, Fwiw I have pals on each of the above groups. Obviously you don't need any help lining up a U4 informal meeting but if you want some face time with one of the others to have a light brainstorming session lmk.

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Or (I'm just throwing it out there), the go-getters in this thread could come to a U4 meeting (This Thursday 6:30PM LHM Jeep in Sandy) and volunteer to do the stuff you'd want to do here with U4. We can always use hard working, forward thinking people and there's always room on the Board for more.

See you guys this Thursday.

sixstringsteve

wow, that's really cool! I'm very impressed. I'd be happy to contribute to that. I think if you had data for people to enter, you'd get some good volunteers. I know Ryan has GPS coordinates of almost every trail in Utah (and then some). I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
wow, that's really cool! I'm very impressed. I'd be happy to contribute to that. I think if you had data for people to enter, you'd get some good volunteers. I know Ryan has GPS coordinates of almost every trail in Utah (and then some). I like it a lot.

Yes, people adding data would be a HUGE benefit.
Maybe I'll look at rewriting and updating it, especially make it easier to add entries... right now you have to manually edit an xml file. It would be awesome to have a database driven map tool.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yes, people adding data would be a HUGE benefit.
Maybe I'll look at rewriting and updating it, especially make it easier to add entries... right now you have to manually edit an xml file. It would be awesome to have a database driven map tool.

I'd love to contribute data to this.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
U4 meeting (This Thursday 6:30PM LHM Jeep in Sandy)
I see this is a reoccurring meeting once a month. Too short of notice for me this time, but I saved this to my calendar in hopes that next time I will make it out. At the very least I will spread the word to friends that didn't know much about meeting details. By chance is there any meeting minutes to read from current or past meetings?

"U4WDA holds its meetings on the last Thursday of every month at 6:30 pm at the Larry H. Miller Chrysler/Jeep Dealership 10905 South Auto Drive Mall in Sandy in the upstairs meeting room."