Steering stabalizer?

zukijames

Who runs them? What brand?

I'm too chicken to go fast so I don't know if it would be any use for me.

Some stuff I've read says they are great for slow technical single track. Others say horrible or useless for tight technical

Seems like everyone with a scots stabalizer loves them

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I bought a bike with one on it. I almost sold the stabilizer to help recoop some of the purchase costs of the bike. I rode it for the first time in some really loose sand at high speed. WOOOOOOOOW what a difference it made, especially in soft berms.
I have only ridden single track since then, and don't feel it being a major help. However, I may think different if I took it off and tried it now.
My current opinion is that I would not purchase one to add to a bike, but sure wouldn't complain to have it come on a bike.
Again, now that I have it, I may think different if I were to take it off.

The most benefit comes in loose terrain and speed.

Edit: another major improvement was on washboard roads, especially in a long turn. The back end stayed behind me, and did not try to drift around. Again, a high speed advantage.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I don't have one and haven't had one before. But every time I ask more experienced guys than myself what to do they always say spend the money on suspension first. I have been wanting one because on the 300 I seem to feel a lot more feedback from big rocks and roots than on my 250 4t. But I am going with what everyone else has told me and I am in the process of getting my suspension done by notch peak. I'm excited to get it back. If I still feel the need for one I will get one after.

They have aver different settings and you can adjust them from barely noticeable at all too pretty stiff. So I think you'd be fine using it on any terrain.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a GPR. It goes from 1-8 and I keep it on 4 most of the time Unless Im riding faster in the desert past my comfort zone then I bump it up to 5.5ish. I love it. I will always have one on my bikes but I don't think it does much riding slow. I did hit a big ass rock last year in 4th gear the blew my front tire out so bad it had a 6" gash in it and bent my front wheel. This was one of those times it was turned past a 5 and I didn't crash or loose control of the bike at all and I know it was the stabilizer that saved my bacon. I also really notice it in sand, Gravel, Salt flats like out at the knolls, Rutted trails, Mud, Water and weird cross cuts on trails from water running that you don't see until the last second.

D

Deleted member 12904

oh and for scope of reference I am fat, old and slow on a dirt bike. So my opinion is based off of a novice rider level.

sixstringsteve

If you find the handlebars being jerked around a lot while riding, a stabilize can help with that. Think of it like a shock that limits how fast you can turn the bars. At super slow speeds you're usually not getting wrist-breaking feedback from the front wheel. That being said, it can still help. If you're going to get one, get an adjustable one so you can use different settings and see what you like. I see a lot of value in a steering stabilizer, but they're not cheap.

zukijames

If you find the handlebars being jerked around a lot while riding, a stabilize can help with that. Think of it like a shock that limits how fast you can turn the bars. At super slow speeds you're usually not getting wrist-breaking feedback from the front wheel. That being said, it can still help. If you're going to get one, get an adjustable one so you can use different settings and see what you like. I see a lot of value in a steering stabilizer, but they're not cheap.

if it get one it will most likely be a scotts that has adjustments on the low and the high speed ..

also not that i would buy them$$ i rode a KTM for about 30 seconds that had a stabilizer.. and flex bars whats are peoples thoughts on those?

I have a $1000 bike so I'm not in a hurry to spend thousands on up grades just curious

NYCEGUY01

Ive run Flexx Bars on quads.

At least in the Desert and Dunes, all high speed stuff, Worth every cent.....
They cost a lot because they are worth it... Just like a Divorce.....

As far as the Stabilizer... I believe the video explains the worth...

[video=youtube;Rn_fCXVwPic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_fCXVwPic[/video]

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have a GPR. It came on the bike. However, I'm sold on them. I don't know if it's necessary for short rides, but it saves you when you're tired or when you make a mistake.

It also helps you conserve energy: a good example is when you are rolling into braking bumps before a big sweeper turn, it takes less energy to keep the bars straight. In big rocks the bars don't get ripped out of your hands.

I would spend my money on suspension second, after spending money on running more gas through the bike. The ONLY way I get better is with seat time.

zukijames

dang!

Ive run Flexx Bars on quads.

At least in the Desert and Dunes, all high speed stuff, Worth every cent.....
They cost a lot because they are worth it... Just like a Divorce.....

As far as the Stabilizer... I believe the video explains the worth...

[video=youtube;Rn_fCXVwPic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_fCXVwPic[/video]

holy crap that hammer vs 2fingers is crazy!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Tuned suspension and a steering damper is as good as it gets. I have a Scotts (sent back everysooften for upgrades and service) and I've had it on nearly every bike I've owned up to this point. I wish I could get it on my ATK easily.. Anyway I would absolutely recommend one they make all the difference imo.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Been running them for the last 7-8 years on 3 different bikes, but i've only had the GPR v1 and v4, which I've been happy with. The Scott's are the top of the line in my opinion and have the most adjustability, but that comes at a price. If all I rode was slower technical trails and singletrack, I probably wouldn't bother.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I just started running one for the first time (GPR4) I ride a 11 kx450 and even when it was brand new it had violent head shake at any speed over 60mph didnt matter if you were on dirt or pavement. the GPR eliminated that, It took a little getting used to on the slower single track, and I have to run the setting all the way down on 1. but I like it on the stuff Ive rode so far. I still think I would spend money on suspension first, but if you ride a $1000 bike, I would probably just keep riding it the way it is, ride it into the ground and put my money away to someday buy an newer bike. a newer stock bike is 1000 times easier/better to ride and you could dump $8g's into an older bike and it would still ride like an older bike.

zukijames

^this guy knows what he is talking about^

the guy who adjusted my valves has 40 xrs ranging from 81? to 2005? he says money in my bike will be better than a new bike..

i guess i need to ride one of his and see if its that great.. i think 15? of his have stabilizers on them

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's really the weight, suspension, motor and overall chassis ergonomics on a newer bike are just a huge difference between the older bikes and newer ones.
Just the differences between my old 1999 and my 2010 are night and day. I lost 25lbs and gained 10+hp: that's huge. The suspension is hugely better.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
My previous bike was a 2004 KX500, and before that I had a couple of CR500's, and CR250,s and a DR350 and Im twice as fast on my newer bike. even before I set it up I was lots faster and cleaner riding the new bike, Im much more confident because If things go wrong most times the bike will soak up my mistakes.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I just spent a few hours on the trail. I take back my previous statements. because of this thread I put extra thought into what the stabilizer was or wasn't doing. I ride with it at a 4. I turned it down to 1, and felt like I was all over the place! I didn't realize how much it was actually a benefit on the trail. My buddy that I was riding with went down, and hurt his shoulder pretty bad. We ended up switching bikes, thinking the set up of my bike might help him get back to the truck a little easier. He does not have a stabilizer. I quickly realized a difference. A major difference was downhill hard braking. His back end would try to pass up the front tire. That doesn't happen with the stabilizer.

djgardner

Here is my take on a stabilizer...for a novice level rider money is better spent on seat time, and then suspension. For faster riders that spend a lot of time in the desert, its a more justifiable purchase.

With proper suspension that is "dialed" in you shouldn't ever get "headshake". If you are, you need to adjust the rebound on your forks (it always seems to be the rebound that can get rid of headshake for me).

I love mine (I'm currently running a GPRv4...but only because GPR had them on sale for $300, otherwise I'd of purchased a Scotts). With it, I can ride longer, faster. My bike is WAY more stabile at speed (I don't notice it as much in the slow technical stuff). And it helped tremendously with my arm pump issues (because I don't have to hold on the bars as tight).

I did the suspension revalve...then bought a rekluse core EXP...then a stabilizer...In that order. My goal was to do better in desert races, so my logic being, suspension is a "must have"...the rekluse made it so I didn't stall my bike-ever...both of those improved my results...then I bought a stabilizer as icing on the cake.