Stephen's 1986 Suzuki Samurai

Stephen Nielson, Cottonwood Heights, Utah

1986 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop

Engine
: G13BA SOHC TBI 1.3L bored .020 over with high compression pistons, Hawk Torquer Cam, Doug Thorley header and Trail Tough high flow 2" exhaust. Trail Tough 'Unbreakable' motor mounts

Transmission: Stock 5-Speed Manual, Trail Tough 'Unbreakable' rear mount

Transfer Case: 4.16:1 GRSI, Trail Tough Mighty Kong mount/skidplate

Front Axle: Stock

Rear Axle: Stock gears, LockRight locker, Trail Tough disc break swap using 1982 Subaru front calipers and Samurai rotors

Suspension: Old Man Emu Dakar 2" lift springs, Petroworks Heavy Duty 3/4" lift shackles

Steering: Sidekick Power Steering

Wheels and Tires: 235/75 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on 15" American Racing black steel wheels

Bumpers: Custom (read: cheap) front and rear with LED tail lights

Fuel Tank: Petroworks 15 Gallon with zinc plated skidplate

Interior: 50% of 50/50 split rear seat from a 1991 Samurai SE

Navigation: iPhone 5 w/MotionX-GPS

Communication: Cobra 75 WX ST

Stereo: Broken!

Favorite Trails: Golden Spike, wherever else I get a chance to go!

When my Dad came home with a 1987 Samurai Hardtop way back in 1990 I knew that I wanted one of my own when I came of age. So in 1999 I bought this one and it's been with me ever since. Over the past 10 years it has been through many different suspension setups and engine mods, but about a year ago everything started to just fall apart. I was faced with the decision of either getting rid of it and buying something different or rebuilding it.

Being a person who gets emotionally attached to vehicles I had a really hard time with the thought of getting rid of the Samurai. With the encouragement of my wife, whom I met in large part because of the Samurai, it was decided to embark upon a complete overhaul.

The purpose of the rebuild was to set the Samurai up for my current 4-Wheeling habits, which have changed a lot over the past decade. Before all I really wanted was something that could tackle Moab. I succeeded in that and slowly Moab has lost the allure that it once held. Now I'm more interested in expedition style travel, so that is what I have attempted to build the Samurai for.

What you see here is 85% complete. The entire drivetrain has been rebuilt or upgraded. The only things remaining are completing some body work to repair the rusted out rear inner fenders, DuraBak the rear quarters to match the front, repaint the rest of the vehicle and build integrated steel rocker panels. Beyond that, I would love to get a roof rack and snorkel.

img_6106-jpeg.162556

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

Rear Disks

IMG_3323.jpg

Suspension

IMG_3322.jpg

Tank and Skidplate

IMG_3326.jpg

Rear Seat. Nice bit of extra space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
IMG_5629.jpeg
Pulled it out of "storage" the other day. It'll be making its way to my house in the next few weeks once I clear out some space on the side of my garage. Hopefully with it no longer out of sight and out of mind I'll get it running again over the summer and fall if time permits.

It's got a complete Swift GTi engine, ECU, and wiring harness sitting in the back that I pulled neigh on a decade ago. Gonna get that rebuilt and swapped in.

Body has some serious cancer in the rear quarters. Maybe @mbryson can be persuaded to consult on how to fix that.

Interior is in decent shape. Needs a new headliner and the seats could stand to be replaced, but it's serviceable.

Sure brought a smile to my face when I sat behind the wheel. I love this thing.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The Samurai is finally at its new home.
IMG_6106.jpeg
IMG_6107.jpeg
Now that it is no longer "out of sight, out of mind", I'm actually fairly excited to get it running again. With how long it's been sitting, it's going to need a full strip down and rebuild of every major mechanical component.
IMG_6108.jpeg
I've got a complete Swift GTi motor sitting in the back that I was planning on putting in, but now I'm wavering and thinking maybe I should just go back to bone stock in the motor? I mean, this won't be a DD anymore. So simpler the better?
But the best part of having the Samurai home is that my two year old is obsessed with it. It's the only thing he wants to play with outside anymore. His routine is he wants to get in and "drive":
71192838613__82388C33-66A5-42C3-8127-6118585A42F5.jpeg

And then he wants to get out and open the hood. I point out all the engine parts and ask him to tell me what they are. So far he's got "valve cover" and "steering".
IMG_6114.jpeg

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
View attachment 162556
View attachment 162557
Now that it is no longer "out of sight, out of mind", I'm actually fairly excited to get it running again. With how long it's been sitting, it's going to need a full strip down and rebuild of every major mechanical component.
View attachment 162558
I've got a complete Swift GTi motor sitting in the back that I was planning on putting in, but now I'm wavering and thinking maybe I should just go back to bone stock in the motor? I mean, this won't be a DD anymore. So simpler the better?
But the best part of having the Samurai home is that my two year old is obsessed with it. It's the only thing he wants to play with outside anymore. His routine is he wants to get in and "drive":
View attachment 162559

And then he wants to get out and open the hood. I point out all the engine parts and ask him to tell me what they are. So far he's got "valve cover" and "steering".
View attachment 162560

Still under a carport.. No city issues?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
View attachment 162556
View attachment 162557
View attachment 162558
View attachment 162559

View attachment 162560
Let me know when he learns "stupid little squirrel engine." :p

I'm actually kind of excited to get my Samurai running too... I don't know why.