Stolen flatbed trailer.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just an aside, I have State Farm insurance cover my trailer for just this reason on my auto policy. Has anyone ever had their flatbed trailer stolen with such coverage? It's like $3-4 per month or something? How did replacement cost get defined? Insurance is ALWAYS happy to take your cash, not always happy to pay out in the event of a claim.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
But neck tats are usually good for 10k in warrants. Or at least thats what the joke was at my department a few years ago.

So for anyone that is looking at that booking thing wondering what is going on. At the bottom it lists the charge information and there are three items. The first one is the theft of Carls trailer and he was booked as a 2nd degree felony. The second and third items are old cases that date back to 2015 and are likely related. First the retail theft then the fail to appear. Basically, you can either get booked into jail or receive a paper citation for misdemeanor charges, so he got either one of those then skipped court city court at least one time on that charge. Unlike traffic tickets you can't just send a check in the mail and have it disappear, you've got to go in person before a judge. When you skip out the judge at some point will write a warrant for not getting to court on the case. If you have enough $ value in warrants and get stopped for whatever a cop may book you into jail just on those warrants but for little stuff like these ones its likely that you'd be out before the booking cop was finished with his report, as long as you promise to go to court.

Honestly, if I had done a traffic stop on someone with 10k in warrants it would have been 50/50 on whether I'd have taken him to jail. A lot of that would have depended on attitude and what I had stopped him for. When you get up around 20k is when things got a little more certain, not that they'd actually spend the night at jail but that they'd at least get a ride to jail.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just an aside, I have State Farm insurance cover my trailer for just this reason on my auto policy. Has anyone ever had their flatbed trailer stolen with such coverage? It's like $3-4 per month or something? How did replacement cost get defined? Insurance is ALWAYS happy to take your cash, not always happy to pay out in the event of a claim.

I insure my trailers through bear river. I think I'm about $50/year..
A couple years ago I flattened one trailer with a tree, so maybe not the same as stolen, but insurance covered it very well. I think they were even over value IMO (but maybe I had a low value opinion?) I bought the trailer back from them for a few hundred then KSL'd it for like $1200.. It was a MAJOR win for me.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I insure my trailers through bear river. I think I'm about $50/year..
A couple years ago a flattened one trailer with a tree, so maybe not the same as stolen, but insurance covered it very well. I think they were even over value IMO (but maybe I had a low value opinion?) I bought the trailer back from them for a few hundred then KSL'd it for like $1200.. It was a MAJOR win for me.

Enclosed?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Honestly, if I had done a traffic stop on someone with 10k in warrants it would have been 50/50 on whether I'd have taken him to jail. A lot of that would have depended on attitude and what I had stopped him for. When you get up around 20k is when things got a little more certain, not that they'd actually spend the night at jail but that they'd at least get a ride to jail.

Your decision would be a lot easier now, the jail has so many restrictions in place, basically you can only book for domestic related, DUI, or violent felonies at the moment. Which is why I am quite surprised he is still in jail.

10k is nothing but you don't see people getting a bond that high for a misdemeanor.

Tell that to Judge Kwan in Taylorsville. We jokingly called his warrants Kwan Bucks as he would issue a $250,000 warrant for a traffic citation.

neagtea

Supporting Member
The invention of battery powered grinders have made the locks less secure. Mostly they just keep honest people honest. I have two locks they would have to cut but a grinder or porta band would make short work of them.
Glad you guys found it
I want to investigate the gps tracker thingie

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

I looked into this for a couple trailers. It seemed like the monthly costs were not worth the low risk of loss. If the trailer were being left at job sites for weeks, maybe. The insurance seemed like it was cheaper and more of a guarantee.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
i work for a heavy equipment dealer here in the valley, and we have GPS boxes that are 'peel and stick' design that spits out location once a day. i think it costs $10/month for the service.

sixb

Will work for beer!
i use to pull the wheels on one side of my trailer when i needed to leave it at work, or pull the pin for the jack and set it on the ground. that way they have to have more than just bolt cutters with them.

Bart

Wow, I saw this on Facebook but didn't see this thread until today. Glad you got your trailer back Carl, and I hope they throw the book and this jerk. Let me know what trailer locks you end up with. I just thought about my trailer sitting at the side of my house with no lock at all.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The invention of battery powered grinders have made the locks less secure. Mostly they just keep honest people honest. I have two locks they would have to cut but a grinder or porta band would make short work of them.
Glad you guys found it

Any padlock or pin lock is very simple to get thru with many simple tools and a little brute force. Bolt cutters and grinders take longe and make a lot of noise.