Street legal buggies?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
The bill (HB148) is currently in the House waiting to be voted on. The UHP and Utah Sheriffs Assn. have both bought off on the bill, and there has been really no opposition. It all comes down to if there is enough time left in the legislative session to get it done. If it doesn't happen this year, we will reintroduce it again next year. You can follow the bill's progress and read the full bill at http://le.utah.gov/. Just type in HB 148 in the search.

If this passes, a full sized vehicle will be able to register as an ATV. You will need to have all the lights, turn signals, etc that a regular vehicle does, but you will not need fenders or mudflaps. Any tires are allowed up to 44", as are beadlocks. You will not be allowed to drive on freeways (restricted access divided highways) and the max speed limit is 45 mph.

Toad

I think this is great. I thought about building a buggy at one point in my life. I actually started gathering parts to do it. It was a major turnoff knowing that I will have a hard time running some off my favorite trails in Moab. Things happened life changed and those parts were sold off. My little CJ7 on 33s is not completely street legal. Mud flaps, fender flairs and a horn. I have seen more scabbed together street legal rigs then I have seen buggies driving around. Just about every XJ that I have ever wheeled with is scabbed together :)

kgb

Hoping this thing passes

I drive mine on the street anyway, would like to be legal when I am doing it

AaronPaige

I hope this passes too, price city and carbon county has been very good to work with me, but as I have been told a couple times as long as your responsible about it and polite you can get about anywhere, my 54 and brake lite only buggy has mAde a few trailer less trips and that's fun in its self

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
This would be awesome.

my bronco would still be considered street legal if it didn't have heims on the steering and full hydro so was going to license it with classic plates and only drive it in Moab type of thing.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
A map of what roads in OHV areas would be legit... Particularly Moab! I tried reading the bill but it's pretty much Japanese to me. The definition of highway etc was confusing

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
IT PASSED!!! The Senate passed and signed House Bill 148 today! The vote was 28-0. Now the bill goes back to the House to be signed. The law obviously won't be official until it is signed by the governor, but it looks like we did it!

I will post more info this evening when I get home from work.

The old ATV bill covered the entire state except fir "first class" counties (Salt Lake County being the only one). However, another bill that went through this session eliminated that stipulation, and I am assuming that will also apply to full size rigs. As I understand it, the only roads we won't be able to travel on are limited access multi-lane highways, in other words, the interstates. Highways with passing lanes or intermittent sections of divided lanes, such as Highway 191 in Moab, will be legal to travel on. Our max speed limit will be 45mph.

Coco

Such good news! That is awesome to hear! Now I will need to integrate turn signals into my buggy tho...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If we can drive on the 191 to the parking lot for Rusty nail etc and from the end of Pritchett back into town that would make my year! That's all I want.