Stuxnet info video

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Ya pretty soon the only way to keep your computer safe if it's targeted is to never turn it on or install any software since the virus can be hidden in pretty much anything. At least it has to be made for a specific target before distribution. It would suck so much more if it was or is written to be controlled and change to various targets while in infected machines.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It IS fascinating... this seems like one of those.. seminal, game-changer type deals.. one of those leaps technology seems to take from time to time, as its nature dictates. :D

Corban_White

The thing about the stuxnet virus is that computers weren't its primary target. It was designed to target PLCs. Similar to the computer in your car, a PLC can be programmed to control quite a number of things. They are used in pretty much every production plant, power plant/distribution system, water treatment plant, drinking water distribution system, etc. In order to infect these devices (usually they don't even have a connection to the internet) the code would have had to be downloaded locally, likely from a flash drive. IIRC, the stuxnet code was written so that it would automatically transfer to anything it was connected to, but after 3 transfers it would destroy itself. This limited its geographic transfer distance-effectively containing its spread to Iran. I personally think it was a joint US/Israel effort. :)

Badger

I am the Brute squad
From what i remember reading before all it would've taken was one personal member to get an infected laptop/thumb drive into the facility and bam it would spread inside the facility like wild fire till tit found what it was looking for.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What's even just as amazing as the coding done on stuxnet is the massive amounts of security clearances and social engineering that has been used in creating and gaining access. There's some major james bond shit going on. :D

bobmed

- - - -
It showed the operators at the plant that everything was normal.
The control system showed no alarms and had normal rpm readings while it spun the machines up to self destruct.