Subaru...getting past the hype

I predict Brett is going to post in this thread again soon. ;)

Yes, good prediction. Those look like great tires, I'll be pulling the trigger on some soon, I need to find a set of rims. Some cables too, and a basic emergency kit.

To update the thread, we pulled the trigger on a 2013 Outback on Friday. Dempsey made us a great deal, highly recommend going to see him.

Only thing I wish it had is a trailer hitch.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've got a brand new set of winter tires I had on my sti. If you're interested I can crawl up there and get you the model and size. I think they were used for maybe a month.

Hardcastle

I know this is an old thread but i'm curious what Maverick ended up buying? Have you liked it? My wife has been driving her 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i wagon for the past 10 years/120k miles and really i have no complaints. It's been a good car and i'll say it's done amazing in the snow with just standard all weather tires. Not trying to add to the hype but the thing just performs. With the kiddo here she's interested in a little larger car. I suggested 4Runner but she say's it's "too big". Being a Toyota nerd i starting thinking about the Rav4. I've never looked much at Lexus but an RX series could be an option, too. They seem a little hoity toity for my taste but but i've driven Toyota for 15 years now so if they're built similar and have the same reputation it's an option. Anyone on here have any experience with those? I'm open to other options but the main considerations are:

Subaru Outback
Toyota Rav4
Lexus RX Series

If anyone has good/bad feedback on these options i'd like to hear it. Anything specific to look out for? Years to avoid? Thanks.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm not much help, but have you considered Honda CR-V's? Our 98 was bulletproof up to 200k when we sold it. The newer ones have only gotten better and more refined.

I have a 2016 Legacy loaner right now and Subaru has really stepped it up since our cars were made. Even after what I've been through with mine I will probably buy a newer Forester or Outback when the time comes.

Caleb

Couple years ago, we were car shopping for my wife. She wanted a small SUV. We narrowed it down to the BMW X5, the Lexus RX, Range Rover Evoque, and the Mercedes (GL something iirc). I also wanted her to checkout the Porsche Cayenne but she hates the way they look. Of those, she by far loved the Evoque the best. Easiest for her to drive, liked the look and feel of it, etc. The Lexus was quickly ruled out because it was a total Grandpa/Grandma car. Very nice, but certainly an old person car. Funny enough, it was when we were looking at the RX, I convinced her to check out the Lexus IS AWD F-Sport. She ended up going with one of those :D To get the options she wanted, they had to bring it in, so a couple weeks later, she had her new IS. Now, ~2.5 years later, we're starting to shop for her again. The Lexus has been 100% problem free (besides flat tires), been an excellent vehicle. We're 99% sure she'll be going with the Evoque.

Hardcastle

I'm not much help, but have you considered Honda CR-V's? Our 98 was bulletproof up to 200k when we sold it. The newer ones have only gotten better and more refined.

I have a 2016 Legacy loaner right now and Subaru has really stepped it up since our cars were made. Even after what I've been through with mine I will probably buy a newer Forester or Outback when the time comes.

I'm not sure why but she has something against the CR-V and she won't even consider it. I've heard they're great cars but the wife wants what she wants so i'm not listing it as an option.

Your thread and others have made me want to look at other makes. If you still have confidence in Subaru maybe i should, too. After all her current subaru has given us 10 trouble free years... I've driven the Outbacks and they seem like a good option for us. I've driven the Forester, too. The cargo area was bigger but it seemed to have the same tiny backseat as our current impreza wagon so thats why i left it off the list.

Hardcastle

Couple years ago, we were car shopping for my wife. She wanted a small SUV. We narrowed it down to the BMW X5, the Lexus RX, Range Rover Evoque, and the Mercedes (GL something iirc). I also wanted her to checkout the Porsche Cayenne but she hates the way they look. Of those, she by far loved the Evoque the best. Easiest for her to drive, liked the look and feel of it, etc. The Lexus was quickly ruled out because it was a total Grandpa/Grandma car. Very nice, but certainly an old person car. Funny enough, it was when we were looking at the RX, I convinced her to check out the Lexus IS AWD F-Sport. She ended up going with one of those :D To get the options she wanted, they had to bring it in, so a couple weeks later, she had her new IS. Now, ~2.5 years later, we're starting to shop for her again. The Lexus has been 100% problem free (besides flat tires), been an excellent vehicle. We're 99% sure she'll be going with the Evoque.

That's interesting to hear the Lexus RX drove like a grandma car. I've never had a "luxury" car so i assumed it would be smoother and more refined but was it just sluggish or what? I still haven't driven one. She's the exact opposite of an aggressive driver so she might love it. I admit i'm a bit of a Toyota fanboy so that's why the Lexus seemed like a good option but right now i'd say that's 3rd on the list.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you still have confidence in Subaru maybe i should, too.

My car was neglected by the po so that probably factors into most of the struggles I've had with it. The infamous head gaskets are another story but I'm pretty sure they are not an issue on the newer (2010+ OB and 2011+ Foresters) models.

I dunno fwiw Subaru has gone above and beyond in getting me into a free loaner car for the next few months while we wait for new airbags. That means a lot to me considering there are tens of thousands of Subaru's and millions of other effected cars. I haven't gotten my car back yet though so we'll see what the future brings.

Hardcastle

Anyone here own a Rav4? I drove one and was more impressed than i thought i'd be. Had a lot more power than i expected and had the bigger backseat and cargo area we're after.

Anyone here own a Rav4? I drove one and was more impressed than i thought i'd be. Had a lot more power than i expected and had the bigger backseat and cargo area we're after.

She got a 2013 Outback 2.5i and has LOVED it. Zero issues. She'll be getting another one later this year, she's at 64,000 and we have an 80,000 mile warranty. Placebo or not, she feels a lot more confident and safe in it than previous cars. Blizzaks help (she did get "stuck" once this winter running all-seasons).

My mom loves her 2010 RAV4 4cyl, and with Blizzaks and the center diff lock, has had no trouble getting to the cabin.

I wanted the RAV4 but the Outback was the right choice for my wife, and the kids like it more than the RAV4.

Hardcastle

She got a 2013 Outback 2.5i and has LOVED it. Zero issues. She'll be getting another one later this year, she's at 64,000 and we have an 80,000 mile warranty. Placebo or not, she feels a lot more confident and safe in it than previous cars. Blizzaks help (she did get "stuck" once this winter running all-seasons).

My mom loves her 2010 RAV4 4cyl, and with Blizzaks and the center diff lock, has had no trouble getting to the cabin.

I wanted the RAV4 but the Outback was the right choice for my wife, and the kids like it more than the RAV4.

Thanks, this was great to hear. It doesn't help me make up my mind but either of those would probably work well for us. Curious why the kids like the Outback more?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My wife drives a Lexus RX330 and she loves it, it is pretty middle-of-the road / high end, if that makes any sense. It's great in the snow, comfortable and plush.... and gets pretty good MPG's. It has higher miles, but has been pretty trouble free for the most part. It's a Toyota and I agree with Caleb's statement... kind of a grandma car, but don't tell my wife that!

Hardcastle

My wife drives a Lexus RX330 and she loves it, it is pretty middle-of-the road / high end, if that makes any sense. It's great in the snow, comfortable and plush.... and gets pretty good MPG's. It has higher miles, but has been pretty trouble free for the most part. It's a Toyota and I agree with Caleb's statement... kind of a grandma car, but don't tell my wife that!

Thanks for the feedback. None of this helps me make my decision but at least i know i've narrowed it down to 3 good options. haha.

Houndoc

Last month while in Norway for a week our rental was new Subaru (should have noted the model, it is a wagoon that I have not seen around here at all.)

Was had a sporty feel to the drive, but fairly roomy and drove well on snowy roads.

Hardcastle

Well the wife decided a 4Runner was no longer "too big" and we bought one. It just took her driving one with an adjustable seat height and that made the difference. I guess i get to stick in the General 4x4 section. She was even talked into the 4.7 v8 :)