Swap the rear 35 in my TJ for???

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
The 35 has got to go. I want to just go with the TJ 44, but rumor has it that the TJ 44 isn't much better. Opinions? I picked up the Chrysler 8.25, but it is just going to take too much crap to get it to work. It also does not appear at face value to be that much stronger in the spider gears than my 35, and the spider gears are the issue. . . .. for now. So what to do? What is the easiest and best solution for a rear axle upgrade on a 2000 TJ?

If you have a TJ 44 that you want to sell to me (4.56 gears? locked?), or if you are interested in the Chrysler 8.25 that is sitting in my garage ($100) call me. 386-2284. -Nate

1993yj

If its a purely bolt in application, then a TJ 44 will be the only one that will do it without any extra work. Although the extra work could be minimal on other axles as well.

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
I saw the post, but it is out of my price range. What I am really trying to do is get some advice from the experts. If there is another axle that would be a better investment and would be worth the additional tweaking, let me know.

I thought the Chrysler 8.25 might be worth it, but I'm not so sure now. Am I wrong? I just want to drive over big rocks, not fix axles.

Elkhunter96

I would go with a ford explorer 8.8., they are quite a bit heavier than a dana 35 in the axle and the ring and pinion area. There is alot of info on the web about swapping them into a TJ and they also come with disc brakes

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
The TJ D44 is as stong as any other rear D44. Your porbably heard that the front Rubicon D44 is not much stronger than regular TJ's a D30. If you can find a TJ D44 it will be your best bet for a bolt on. The 8.25 is better than the D35 but not as good as the D44 (but close). The ford 8.8 like Elk said is a good swap but you will need to source all the brackets and get them welded on. Plus they are a little narrow so you may want to get some spacers to match the width of your old axle.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I would go with a ford explorer 8.8., they are quite a bit heavier than a dana 35 in the axle and the ring and pinion area. There is alot of info on the web about swapping them into a TJ and they also come with disc brakes

X2..........and you can get the bracket kit from RE or Currie. or try and save them off your 35. the TJd44 rear is standard d44 strength but your not going to find a bolt in cheap. the front Rubi d44 has d30 stubs and outers.

explorer 8.8 is the way to go if price is a factor(until they too become rare).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Nothing wrong with a TJ or Rubicon D44.... The Rubicon D44 is a HD version and is actually better in the ring/pinion area than a standard D44. We can go into the differences, but that wasn't your question.

TJ D44 or even a Ford 8.8 would be a good swap for you. TJD44 would definately be the easiest. The 8.8 is a good axle, but I still prefer the D44 over it. Better wheel bearings than the 8.8... But anyway...

Rodeoman

you can always do Isuzu D44 rear from 98 Rodeo or newer, it is about same width, I think it is 60"WMS. The bad thing is that wheel bolt pattern is 6x5.5. 30spline shafts and it is set up for 4link from factory... ratios are 4.10 autos and 4.30 manuals. I know that rear ends are funky in gear matching with standard D44 parts but it is doable and has been done. Comes down to what you need it for, and how much you are looking to spend on it.

Also friend has built 8.25 if you want to give him a call he can give you specs, off hand I believe it has 4.56 ration and upgraded shafts among some other goods. PM me and I will send you his info.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
8.8's are cheaper than 44's even with the extra work. I spent about 600 (total) on mine and I had someone weld the brackets on for me. If you want a dana 44, it's easiest. You will pay for it however, and you won't find one in the junkyard.

one last thing, I didn't have to regear my 8.8 so that will add a little to your cost.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
TJ44s are getting pricey. $800 up to $1200.00 for disc models but are a direct boolt in. They cannot be found in junkyards either. The one for $750.00on the board is a fair price after piecing a junkyard 8.8 together starts adding up.

If you have to weld brackets on, I wouldn't waste my time with the 8.25" compared to a 8.8.

The 8.8 has its good and bad though. It has disc brakes, a larger/stonger ring gear(+) but that will hang on rocks with anything less than 35"s(-). It also has an offset center section that can cause bind in the driveline but, aside from the weak carrier and spinning tubes, is strong as hell:D

HTH -Marcus

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
Thanks for all of the help. Here is some other math that was fun to weigh out:

Chrysler 8.25 Cost: $100
Dana 44 Cost: $750-$1500