Swap the rear 35 in my TJ for???

Elkhunter96

One thing that is always mentioned is the spline size . I have heard that even though the dana 44 is a 30 spline and the 8.8 is a 31 spline the actually diameter of the axle shaft is different. I would have to check online sources, but that may be something to consider. The 8.25 may have a 29 spline axle shaft but what is the diameter etc. The 8.25 still is better than the dana 35,

FYI I bought my 8.8 at south bountiful salvage for 300 with traclock and 4.10 gears, I am in to mine about 600ish

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
D44
ring gear diameter = 8.5"
30 spline

Crysler 8.25
ring gear diameter = 8.25"
29 spline
c-clips

the last line "C-CLIP" is all you need to know. I will never run another c-clip the rest of my life. you should carry a spare shaft cause if you break a shaft you end up leaving your rig cause it walks on you. had to go buy a new shaft before I could get my rig home. and fought like mad to get the c-clip and broken end of the shaft out of my locker laying in a creek bottom during a flash flood. nope never agian.

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
Have you ever thought about doing a Super 35 kit in it? You can locker it too. I have not done one but have heard they are stronger then D44 stock axels. The axle tubes are not as strong but when was the last time you heard some one breaking an axle tube? Just food for thought.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Have you ever thought about doing a Super 35 kit in it? You can locker it too. I have not done one but have heard they are stronger then D44 stock axels. The axle tubes are not as strong but when was the last time you heard some one breaking an axle tube? Just food for thought.

Why in the world woudl you want to put $1000 into a POS D35!??!!! And you hear of them breaking all the time.... Do a search on the web and see for yourself.... People breaking them in parking lots and not even on the trails!!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I bent and spun a tube on my dana 35, and it doesnt take much of a bend to cause the shaft to go into the locker on an agle and bind and spool it up which causes even more grief.

TrentJ

Dont put money into a 35. I got a super 35 kit with a detroit and 4.88 and I just lost another ring gear(2nd time). Granted I havent broke any shafts and Im running 36" swamper SX's I give it some credit but not enough to be worth the price. Swap it out and donate it to some poor bastard who likes em.

rondo

rondo
There are peeps out there who like the super 35 kit; but i've seen a D35 bend and when it does all the cash goes out the window. Fixing a D35 axle shaft (or any c-clip) is a pita when you got to fish out all the blown axle pieces, even then yer hoping the ring/pinion didn't grenade.

There is a kit out there that has all the TJ brackets that can go onto any axle. My neighbor put one on a D44 front i sold him and it's beautiful. Sorry i don't recall who sells it but someone will.

Also consider a rear 94-95 isuzu rodeo Dana 44 axle. (don't confuse it with the isuzu corporate axle). i've run this for years with success; factory disk brakes, 30 spline axles, and all the gear ratios that any dana 44 uses. i can't speak for the 98+ though. It's six lug but a guy could redrill for 5 on 4.5 perhaps. that part would have to be researched. it's only about 58 or 59 in wide though. I bought mine for 125$ from a salvage yard.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Rubicon Express, Clayton Off Road, Teraflex, MORE, etc. all make bracket kits for the TJ. I prefer Rubicon Express or Clayton Off Road over them all.

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
Why in the world woudl you want to put $1000 into a POS D35!??!!! And you hear of them breaking all the time.... Do a search on the web and see for yourself.... People breaking them in parking lots and not even on the trails!!

Just wanted to present other valid options to Natius.