T-Case help?

I have a 99 XJ with an 8" lift. I recently upgraded my front long arms, and now I have a driving vibration / clunking (noticable at all speeds). When I take off my front driveline, the noise is gone. We've tweaked the front pinion angle a little, and the noise is still present. Someone suggested my output shaft on the T-Case might be bent.

So, the question is...If it is bent, what's the easiest way to check? I'd like to do it myself, as I am on a budget. It's the stock transfer case for the cherokee.

Suggestions? Thanks!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
one way would be to take the rear drive line out and just let the output shaft turn while you watched it... see if it moves from side to side or up and down... it should turn in a perfect circle...

My expedtion does the same thing but it only vibrates at around 70-74 mph

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
is it a CV or non CV driveline? Is one of the joints worn?

I can't imagine the output bending before the driveline or something else lets go.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think there is a bearing that is around the output shaft. I would think that could cause the problem too. could be in the diff too I guess.

I just have a hard time believe an output shaft can bend. Shear..maybe...twist splines....sure....but bend?

Cody

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Set it up on 4 jackstands & have somebody run forward & reverse, run it through the gears and you can watch what is going on. Put jackstands under the axles so it has the weight of the vehicle on them.