Toyota Tacoma Axle bearing replacement

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Since nobody is ever going to find this in my upper control arm thread, I'm spinning off a new thread. :hickey:

First off a question, if I don't have ABS do I need to put on the ABS ring when I replace the bearing? Or can I just put the Upper collar in the correct location?

2017-05-08 17.43.35.jpg

It doesn't appear that the ABS ring is pressed against the snap ring, so I don't believe it is required for spacing. I cut off the collar and ABS ring last night so I'm ready to pull the snap ring and press them off today, just trying to decide if I need to spend the $50 for a part I don't need.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I wouldn't worry about the ABS ring if you don't have ABS. The inner collar keeps the bearing in place and the outer collar is there for the seal to ride on, but that outer collar will stay right where we put it. The ABS ring isn't required for spacing so if you don't want to buy another, don't.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
do you have the tool to mount that flange so you can press them

Off or on? I have a thingy I cobbled out of a piece of housing to press everything off, but it all goes back on pretty easy with a chunk of 2x2 inner hitch steel for a driver. :D

Any leaks yet Scott, or did we manage to get the placement right on that outer collar?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Off or on? I have a thingy I cobbled out of a piece of housing to press everything off, but it all goes back on pretty easy with a chunk of 2x2 inner hitch steel for a driver. :D

Any leaks yet Scott, or did we manage to get the placement right on that outer collar?

no leaks yet, heading to Moab this morning to test it out. :greg:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Don't have your number but i'm assuming you have Kevin's, we are headed to Moab today ourselves we should get together