Toyota Tacoma upper control arm removal?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Is there a trick I'm missing to remove the upper control arm off a Tacoma? I've tried a 3-jaw puller, prying it with a 5' bar and hitting it with a small sledge hammer. Right now it's soaking in penetrating oil. :confused:

Pic for attention
2017-04-29 19.51.00.jpg

Tonkaman

Just to clarify your trying to remove the upper ball joint FROM the upper control arm right?

Try jacking up the upper control arm so that all the weight is on the arm and nothing else. This will leave the heavy spindle dangling by the ball joint bolt.

Next grab a big hammer like a 5 lb sledge and hit the upper control arm on the side right next to the ball joint. This usually causes enough vibration to make the two pieces break Fred from each other after several hits.

Tonkaman

342b591dd576bca21f9acef2a6112316.jpg

Hit it here

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I haven't tried a pickle fork yet, I'm wondering if I just need a bigger hammer was using a 3lbs. I can wedge a pry bar and apply some pressure when I do it, I'll find a bigger hammer. :greg:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I thought those Toyota ball joints were made to come apart on their own?? ... at least in the toyotas I rode in they do..

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think mine was just a special case or something, I hit it with an 8lb sledge and it still wouldn't budge. Checked my rear brakes yesterday and noticed my axle's leaking on the one side so I'll probably wind up doing axle seals next, never done that before so it ought to be exciting. From what I understand it's just pull the seal on the axle and replace and then get a new bearing and have it pressed onto the axle shaft. (I don't have a press so it's going to be a take it somewhere to get pressed deal).

ricsrx

I think mine was just a special case or something, I hit it with an 8lb sledge and it still wouldn't budge. Checked my rear brakes yesterday and noticed my axle's leaking on the one side so I'll probably wind up doing axle seals next, never done that before so it ought to be exciting. From what I understand it's just pull the seal on the axle and replace and then get a new bearing and have it pressed onto the axle shaft. (I don't have a press so it's going to be a take it somewhere to get pressed deal).
I have never replaced the bearing when changing the seal, the seal is attached to the housing, easy to replace, the bearing is attached to the shaft, more complicated but doable

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have never replaced the bearing when changing the seal, the seal is attached to the housing, easy to replace, the bearing is attached to the shaft, more complicated but doable
Good to know I'll pick up a seal and do it, if I see any play in the bearing I'll worry about it then.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Got play in the bearing so that's probably what killed my seal, fortunately I haven't minimized my clutter yet and I have my old 8.4 I'm going to steal a shaft from and run it. (assuming they are the same).

Edit: And just my luck I got one without ABS vs one with. Anybody got any recommendations where to get a bearing pressed on/off?

Last edited: