TH350 question........

V-DAWG

someday
Okay, I have searched everywhere, but to no avail.

What is on the pass front side of a TH350 in front of the cooler lines? Is it possible the p.o. put in a temp sensor? or is it something stock? I didn't notice it until I fired up the cruiser for the first time yesterday after finally getting everything all set to go, and it started spewing tranny fluid all over my driveway.

I need to plug it, or put the proper piece in there, but I can't figure out what it is for certain. I tried to take a picture, but I have a rag stuffed into the little hole so it will stop leaking as bad.

By the way, the tranny is out of a 79 Blazer if that matters........

V-DAWG

someday
Hickey said:
The dipstick?

Uhhhhhhhh, no.

The dipstick is behind the cooler lines. The part I am talking about is right at the front of the tranny before the cooler lines. It looks like the foremost part of the pan- that is why I think the p.o. may have put a temp sensor there, but I do not know for certain.

Caleb

I would guess it was for a temp sensor. I know mine did not have that so I would also guess it was done by the po and not from the factory. Just figure out what thread it is and go pick-up a plug for it from evco (or other fitting shop)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The kickdown cable goes in toward the front of the pan....is your hole IN the pan, or above it? If you don't have the cable in there, it'll spew. Also, you could burn it up unless you have a manual valvebody in there.

I bought one for my old one at Autozone, I think it was like $13.

V-DAWG

someday
I Lean said:
The kickdown cable goes in toward the front of the pan....is your hole IN the pan, or above it? If you don't have the cable in there, it'll spew. Also, you could burn it up unless you have a manual valvebody in there.

I bought one for my old one at Autozone, I think it was like $13.

Thanks, it is the kickdown cable.

I just got back from Ch%ck%r, and they don't sell them. I will check out Autozone.

edit: just found it on autozones web page $17.99- stores stock them :greg: .

Last edited:

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
The kick down cable on a T350 does NOT control line pressure (like a 700R, 904, 727, etc). So not running the cable is not a problem... except the leakage you have encountered. You will not burn it up.
I ran a T350 without a cable in my street car which I raced frequently for 10 years without a single failure. Rebuilt it once due to a lunched convertor. Trans is still going today.

Caleb

dunatic67 said:
The kick down cable on a T350 does NOT control line pressure (like a 700R, 904, 727, etc). So not running the cable is not a problem... except the leakage you have encountered. You will not burn it up.
I ran a T350 without a cable in my street car which I raced frequently for 10 years without a single failure. Rebuilt it once due to a lunched convertor. Trans is still going today.

this is the same thing the trans shop told me, they said the best way was to have it pulled so its like is WOT all the time (if you don't run one at all). I did not run one in my T350 but I did have a manual valve body.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
dunatic67 said:

Good to know! So, install it just to plug the hole, even if you don't hook it up. :)

way2nosty

I Lean said:
Good to know! So, install it just to plug the hole, even if you don't hook it up. :)
the detent cable controls the quality of the shift, ie firmness, and also delay, It isn't an extrordinary expense to hook it up, I would do it, Your auto will perform better. It isn't like the Throttle valve on the 2004r 700r4 etc, you won't harm the trans by not having it, but unless you are putting in a manual valve body, I would install it. I like mine a little tight, gives a little more positive shift feel. If you pull it tight and leave it there, You could have some low Idle stalling problems.

Batman

way2nosty said:
the detent cable controls the quality of the shift, ie firmness, and also delay, It isn't an extrordinary expense to hook it up, I would do it, Your auto will perform better. It isn't like the Throttle valve on the 2004r 700r4 etc, you won't harm the trans by not having it, but unless you are putting in a manual valve body, I would install it. I like mine a little tight, gives a little more positive shift feel. If you pull it tight and leave it there, You could have some low Idle stalling problems.
Whew, thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

V-DAWG

someday
way2nosty said:

I picked up the cable, but now I need to get the bracket for the motor/ carb.

You stated you like it tight (all jokes aside), at what point in the throttle do you have it set to start pulling? It sounds like it is supposed to kick in with the secondaries- is it possible to have it pull before that?

way2nosty

V-DAWG said:
I picked up the cable, but now I need to get the bracket for the motor/ carb.

You stated you like it tight (all jokes aside), at what point in the throttle do you have it set to start pulling? It sounds like it is supposed to kick in with the secondaries- is it possible to have it pull before that?

Depends on How you want it to perform, Most factory setups are set to open just before the secondaries open, so the engine is ready for a Higher RPM before the transmission shifts, You don't wan't to be too far ahead or behind that because you will either bog down the motor for just a second as it shifts because the engine doesn't have enough RPM, or it will shift an knock your teeth out because the secondaries are wide open before it shifts. Take Your Drill and Slot the holes on the hanger for the cable, You can slot them to about .75 inch long, That will let you adjust it to most anybodys liking.

Bud

'98 ZJ
You need the kickdown cable, it is essential for normal functioning. that is what it seems like you're talking about. Just as the others have stated it is needed for day to day operation. The TH350 is not needing everyting that a 700R4 needs but you need to at least hook up the vacumm cable on the back of the tranny to make it shift right. Your's does have this right? I know on my Th400 I had to use the stock electronic kickdown mechanism to work properly, its on the accelerator pedal for a Th400 from a wagoneer. I have set the accelerator cable in full advance for some Competition rigs but for day-to-day operation you need to have it hooked up right. the problem I am having now on my recent set up is a TPI motor to a TH350, and the cable is too short and there is nothing to accomidate this. I guess I have to make a cable work from two with some wire ties and some new fixed cable spots....

Crinco

the problem I am having now on my recent set up is a TPI motor to a TH350, and the cable is too short and there is nothing to accomidate this. I guess I have to make a cable work from two with some wire ties and some new fixed cable spots....
Bud,

I have an engine from a 93 trans-am, it's a LT1 that is tpi with a TH350 I have behind it and I found a kickdown cable for that from Lokar. I bought it from Summitracing.com and it works great. I can try to find my receipt for the model number if you are interested and you think this might work for your application. PM me if you want that info.
Chris R.

Bud

'98 ZJ
Crinco said:
Bud,

I have an engine from a 93 trans-am, it's a LT1 that is tpi with a TH350 I have behind it and I found a kickdown cable for that from Lokar. I bought it from Summitracing.com and it works great. I can try to find my receipt for the model number if you are interested and you think this might work for your application. PM me if you want that info.
Chris R.
thanks man!