The Arctic Cat Wildcat - Side by Side

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I've been thinking about a sport-performance side by side for the wife and I to bash around the desert around here, Moab and elsewhere. I really like what I've seen from the Arctic Cat Wildcat... anyone else been following them? I stopped by our local AC dealer today and he said pre-ordered Wildcats should be in anytime, but any Wildcats ordered at this point probably won't be in until July! :eek:

Anyone have an 'in' with a SLC Arctic Cat dealer, or know of a dealer that has one that's not sold?

They're pretty amazing SxS's, factory built long travel suspension, Walker Evans dual rate coilovers, good belly clearance while putting the driver & passenger down low, rather than sitting up high like other SxS's. I dig the suspension, if I had a RZR I'd be spending the money on aftermarket long travel parts, when the Wildcat is already built that way.

http://www.arcticcat.com/sidexside/model/view/WILDCAT

[video=youtube;HmgvvFUfOsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgvvFUfOsg[/video]

[video=youtube;y_3khknLMto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y_3khknLMto[/video]

[video=youtube;510hJ6W9nNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=510hJ6W9nNA[/video]

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Having been around both machines, I prefer the new Polaris XP 900.
Just my .02:D

[video=youtube;epcwwCJjaNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epcwwCJjaNw[/video]

[video=youtube;TvhgKl87muk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvhgKl87muk[/video]

[video=youtube;0MrQptzT7BQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MrQptzT7BQ[/video]

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I respect your opinion Paul, even more so if you're one of the few people I know that's been around the Wildcat!

Any specific reasons why you like the 900XP over the Wildcat? The Wildcat has a few more inches of wheel travel and seems like it works better than anything else out there when being pushed fast & hard.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I guess my bias right now is the fact that I have not been impressed with the Arctic Cat 4 wheelers and Polaris has more experience in the sport side by side arena and feel it will be more reliable. A couple years from now that could be different. Also I need to clarify that I have not driven an Arctic Cat. I have talked with a friend who is a mechanic for an Arctic Cat dealership who has seen them at a factory demo.

Greg

Admin
I guess my bias right now is the fact that I have not been impressed with the Arctic Cat 4 wheelers and Polaris has more experience in the sport side by side arena and feel it will be more reliable. A couple years from now that could be different. Also I need to clarify that I have not driven an Arctic Cat. I have talked with a friend who is a mechanic for an Arctic Cat dealership who has seen them at a factory demo.

Gotcha. I feel about the same way, seems like Polaris has dominated the side by side market and they should have is figured out by now.

I know little to nothing about Arctic Cat, a co-worker rides a AC 4 wheeler and he has nothing but good to say about it. The Wildcat is supposed to be an all new design, built to handle some abuse. Only time will tell how reliable they are... but I'd like to have something sooner than the 2-3 years that should take. ;)

Greg

Admin
Anyone else have any input?

I found a slightly used 2011 RZR 900XP that seems to be priced decently, just wish it was closer. I'd really like to get some seat time on one of these things... :greg:

neagtea

Supporting Member
xp
yes
kind of partial to Polaris though. Better dealer support. Polaris won't sit back they will keep upping the ante and have plans for the future, they moved up the xp 4 seat launch to counter other brands.
The wheel base gives the AC an advantage in the whoops but it is getting awfully long.
Talk to the guy in Montrose at the ac dealer as he races in Baja on cat stuff,

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For seat time, head over to Moab and rent one for a day. I have no experience with the RZR XP but some with the RZR S. Quite a nice machine, looking to trade our quads in for an S this year. Coreshots brother has been a trailer leader for one of the sxs events for quite a while. It's a bit too of money, but I think you would be smart to put in some serious seat time on any machine you are considering.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Anyone else have any input?

I found a slightly used 2011 RZR 900XP that seems to be priced decently, just wish it was closer. I'd really like to get some seat time on one of these things... :greg:

If you can find a gently used XP at a good price, don't let it get away. They are are hot enough still and the dealers are not going to give them away. If you go new, let me know, I have a client who is a Polaris dealer and might be able to save you a couple bucks.

He also has a couple personal XPs that are stored at his place in St.George. If you were to go to WOTR I could probably line up a demo for you.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
My friend has that Razor. His is the wider version and he loves it when be has time to ride it. He has too many toys so it sits a lot.

Good to hear!

xp
yes
kind of partial to Polaris though. Better dealer support. Polaris won't sit back they will keep upping the ante and have plans for the future, they moved up the xp 4 seat launch to counter other brands.
The wheel base gives the AC an advantage in the whoops but it is getting awfully long.
Talk to the guy in Montrose at the ac dealer as he races in Baja on cat stuff,

Some good points, dealer support is a huge consideration. You're right about the wheelbase... I could see the longer WB being a benefit and a handicap, depending on what you're doing.

Oh yea don't get seat time unless you are ready to buy as you will be hooked.

Good call.... I think you're right, if I spent any time in one, ti wouldn't be long before money was changing hands!

For seat time, head over to Moab and rent one for a day. I have no experience with the RZR XP but some with the RZR S. Quite a nice machine, looking to trade our quads in for an S this year. Coreshots brother has been a trailer leader for one of the sxs events for quite a while. It's a bit too of money, but I think you would be smart to put in some serious seat time on any machine you are considering.

That's a great idea! The weather is holding out down here, I'll have to see what I can do. It will be hard to get any seat time in a Wildcat, at least for another year or so. All the ones that are coming into the dealers are sold and they have a waiting list for any others that become available.

If you can find a gently used XP at a good price, don't let it get away. They are are hot enough still and the dealers are not going to give them away. If you go new, let me know, I have a client who is a Polaris dealer and might be able to save you a couple bucks.

He also has a couple personal XPs that are stored at his place in St.George. If you were to go to WOTR I could probably line up a demo for you.

I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger, but if I decide to buy new, I'll let you know!

I don't have a 4x4 worthy of taking to WOTR, doubt I'll be there. I appreciate the offer though!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Stay away from Polaris!!!!! I have 2 polaris four wheelers and a Honda and a Suzuki and it's been proved to me that I will never buy another Polaris again. I have 3 friend that bought the 4 seater Polaris razers and 2 of them are on the second motor and one on the third, the intake pulls dirt right off of the rear tire and the dealer told them to put on an aftermarket one but told them if they do the warranty is void... So they keep on replacing the motor under warranty.........

I'm thinking of picking up a Can-am this spring for my wife, I want a new boat and she says we don't need another hobby, maybe I'll look at the wildcat.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Stay away from Polaris!!!!! I have 2 polaris four wheelers and a Honda and a Suzuki and it's been proved to me that I will never buy another Polaris again. I have 3 friend that bought the 4 seater Polaris razers and 2 of them are on the second motor and one on the third, the intake pulls dirt right off of the rear tire and the dealer told them to put on an aftermarket one but told them if they do the warranty is void... So they keep on replacing the motor under warranty.........

I'm thinking of picking up a Can-am this spring for my wife, I want a new boat and she says we don't need another hobby, maybe I'll look at the wildcat.

I know at least 10 people who own Polaris Razors and have never seen this problem. I am very good friends with the Polaris dealer here in Price and have nvers seen any bikes in his shop for this problem either.

I personally own 2 Polaris 4 wheelers and have never had an ounce of trouble with them and they both have over 3K miles on them.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
You can have bad and good with all machines, my sportsman has 1500 miles on it and the whole front end is loose, and it rattles everywhere, the other is a 4 stroke sportsman 90 that I bought new in 07 it probably has 30 hours on it and has a parasitic draw and now wont run without a battery at all. My friends razors are ridden in the Mountains around strawberry about 5000 miles a year in the fine powder off of the roads they suck a lot of dust, poor design.. I have friends that have no problems with theirs, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I know Brad there at carbon emery, he's a good guy. I steer all the people I can to him and they are always take care of, I don't know if it's because that's just the way he is or if it's because we send them to him, but he runs a good business I wish he still had his store in springville.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I do know for crawling the trailing arm machines hang up. There is a uhmm or whatever skidded out there that helps. The 800 is sweet if you upgrade to the Kroyer/Holtz motor. This is equivalent to stock XP power. Myself I could live with dragging a trailing arm once and a while. I would use it more for dunes and high speed. So XP gets the nod.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
You can have bad and good with all machines, my sportsman has 1500 miles on it and the whole front end is loose, and it rattles everywhere, the other is a 4 stroke sportsman 90 that I bought new in 07 it probably has 30 hours on it and has a parasitic draw and now wont run without a battery at all. My friends razors are ridden in the Mountains around strawberry about 5000 miles a year in the fine powder off of the roads they suck a lot of dust, poor design.. I have friends that have no problems with theirs, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I know Brad there at carbon emery, he's a good guy. I steer all the people I can to him and they are always take care of, I don't know if it's because that's just the way he is or if it's because we send them to him, but he runs a good business I wish he still had his store in springville.

Good and bad with all machines is very true. I think the most bulletproof 4 wheelers built are the Honda's. They have always built a great machine and they seem to be lower maintenance than most the others. They are also probably the lowest performance machine when you compare them to most the others in their class. A foreman 500 is not as sporty as a Sportsman 500, or any of the others......they are just for lack of a better term, a smooth machine.

Based on what you are telling me on where they ride and how much, I think they are not doing their preventative maintenance well enough. A high performance motor needs high flowing air to run and therefore they are designed to have as much unrestricted flow as possible. On any side by side you are turning up a lot of dirt with four wheels. When you combine that with very fine and silty dirt that you find in those mountains when it is dry and there have been a lot of machines you have a recipe for disaster if you are not doing maintenance on the machine after every ride. I don't care what machine you are riding or driving, a day of riding in those conditions probably would require a new airfilter after each ride. Particulary if there is a group of them and they are riding in each others dust.

I have spent my life riding and racing motorcycles and maintenance after every ride is just what you have to do. I think that is true with most machines. While I don't have to do as much maintnence on my Polaris 4 wheelers, they still need regular maintenance.

Last edited:

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
I had a 2011 50" LE RZR 800, and now have a 2012 RZR XP LE. The 800 I felt was slightly underpowered, and lethargic. Got the XP and was pleasantly surprised that after proper break in, and able to really stand on the throttle that the XP will powerslide on Asphalt. (wasnt trying to, Im sure one could manage to still roll one if they weren't smart about it) at any rate, their power is incredible, and its amazing how they will swallow 2 foot deep whoops like nothing.

Polaris did their homework on the XP, I love mine.

RE: about the wildcat. FWIW I've been told that the suspension will edge out the XP. I've also heard that in a flat-out drag, the XP will still walk away from the wildcat. So I bet its about sixes for either machine, and personally I don't care for the looks of the wildcat, so I'll keep the XP.

As far as Polaris goes, Ive had Polaris sleds, ATV's, UTV's and now currently have a 2012 XP Limited Edition. They have been the most reliable machines for me. I figure if you take care of the machine, the machine takes care of you.

From what I've seen on forums, Hondas seem to be the most reliable for people, but Ive had the exact opposite experience. The family has had 5 Honda's, 2 needed motor overhauls, you could never keep valves in one, and one of them would burn oil right after startup. It would take ALOT for me to buy another Honda.

Last edited: