The Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I dug this album out while I was going trough some of my CD's (I know! CD's! A novelty in this digital age!) and threw it in. Man, I can't believe I used to love these guys! Don't get me wrong, for early Emo, its good stuff. But just so pathetic! I guess it fit me when I had jet black hair and thick rimmed glasses, but man am I glad I've moved on in my musical taste (and I suppose my life in general)!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Damnit, I was looking forward to ripping into you about emo.

I'm glad you moved on to, it is a huge improvement. I used to like Sebadoh. :eek:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
that just means you only liked it because it was trendy. I've found my musical taste is less transitory than I would have thought.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I like to listen to what sounds good to me. I don't get into stupid discussions about the "merit" or "quality" or any other crap. I just like what sounds good to me and I can get into. I don't really pick a genre so much (although I hate almost all country---with the exception of some classic country like HWJ, Waylon, etc.).

I listen to a lot of older punk, good underground hip hop, and some reggae. Pennywise, face to face, NOFX, Guttermouth, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, LTJ, Beastie Boys, Tribe Called Quest, Sweatshop Union, Atmosphere, Zion I, Buju Banton, Capleton, etc etc.

I like the Atari's. they aren't that emo. Emo is Dashboard Confessionals, and stuff like that. the Atari's cover of "the boys of summer" is sick.

Thrice covers "send me an angel", which is also a sick cover song.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Who else did "Boys Of Summer"? Or am I thinking of the same band? If it's the Atari's, I'll upgrade them from "gay emo" to "ambiguous emo-ish". I liked that cover.

*Youtube! off to search

EDIT: yeah, this is the version. Ok, they're not a "gay emo" band, on the merits of covering this killer song.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
none of their music is emo IMO. it's not whiney and gay. for the most part it's pretty good punk.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not bad. I liked that song when I was a kid, and for extra points I believe the bass player is using a Tacoma bass.

Well done. Unusual choice, too.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
We're not on the topic of music, we're on the topic of "SRN liked a gay emo band but has moved on".

Pick up the pace, Pyle!

Stabby Rip, Stab Stab. Dam I am glad he moved on or else I would start to get worried. Even I have no clue who he is anybody who likes to cry themselves to sleep at night for no dam reason should be banned from sharp objects.
Congradulations on the move on!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Cody, I agree that Atari's are not "Emo". They are more of a Proto-emo band. All the emo kids love them, but yes they are more punk. And yes, it was while I was being trendy. I freely admit it. But I'm better now.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Bloc Party, Bishop Allen, Say Hi to Your Mom, Good Morning Maxfield, Bruce Springsteen, and others I can't think of.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
4/5 of those sound like new, trendy bands. Are they any good? Would I like them? I am on the hunt for new, pleasing music all the time. What say you?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Bloc Party is kinda new and trendy. Kinda indie rock/electronica blend. Bishop Allen is an indie band from Manhatten, pretty small yet cool. Great songs, not so good live. You can download most of their stuff off their website, which is cool. Say Hi is a nerdrock (references to the Buffyverse, Star Trek, ect) band out of Cali. They are fun, each album has a theme (Robots, Vampires, Cats ect.). Awesome live. Good Morning Maxfeild is an AWESOME local band.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Bloc Party: Your description is dead on. I remember these guys now... (on their MySpace page)... they are part of what I would call "nostalgic electro-pop", in that music like this reminds me of the 80's, while sounding much newer if you compare 80's music to it. I can stand it in small doses.

Bishop Allen: Much lighter/poppier than my usual fare, but I like it well enough. I'll have to d/l some of their stuff and see if my daughter likes it. She has been an enthusiastic tester of music lately. :D

Good Morning Maxfield: Listening to "Lovers Past", kind of reminds me of the Decemberists.. just a little though. I could stand this, and I bet my wife would go see them with me. Ok then. I think I'll try and see their May 19th show.

Thanks, Frenchy!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been getting more into stuff like The White Stripes...kind of britishish poppy rock.
There are a couple other bands with a similar sound that I can't think of.

I randomly was listening to x96 the other day (I don't usually listen to the radio..I prefer silence) and heard a song in that genre that I really really liked, but never caught the name. I've been thinking about listening to the station again to try and figure out who it was.