The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

sixstringsteve

I've gotta say, we are so lucky to have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir here so close. I try to go to Music and the Spoken Word frequently, but it's been a while. I went today with some friends and was really moved. For those that don't know, they perform weekly, every Sunday morning, in the Tabernacle for free. It's open to the public and anyone over 8 years old may go and watch. It is an absolutely incredible experience to hear them live, especially in the Tabernacle. They did a great service for our veterans and every song was patriotic. It was a fantastic program. if you've never been to see them live, I can't recommend it enough. They sing all sorts of songs, not just religious ones. It's 30 min long, and there are many secular pieces as well. No matter how religious or anti-religious you are, you owe it to yourself to hear one of the world's best choirs live.

I've been involved in national championship choirs, and I've heard the best of the best. The Tabernacle Choir has really stepped up their game in the past 10 years as Mack Wilberg has started conducting them. They are truly a world-class group with insane talent. Are there better choirs singing more difficult pieces? Probably, but this choir is incredible. If you enjoy music, I guarantee you will enjoy seeing them in person. It was a great experience, and I can't wait to go back. I hope to be able to sing in the choir one day, that would be a dream come true.

For more details about attending a free session of Music and the Spoken Word, see their website.

Visitors to Salt Lake City may attend a live broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. Doors open to the public at 8:30 a.m., and guests should be seated by 9:15 a.m., when the doors are closed. The broadcast is 30 minutes long and ends at 10:00 a.m. Admission is free and limited to those eight years of age and older.

Last edited:

Troop92

I'd second that. They don't try to convert you, don't care who you are -- just go and listen to some amazing music.

We go when we have company in town. Always fun to see their reactions and remember how cool it is for us to have something like that so close.

rholbrook

I just got my tickets to the Christmas program and am stoked. I love the Christmas program. I am not much for Choirs or orchestras but I do enjoy the Christmas program.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Mo Tab Christmas is great, but if you really want to see a good Christmas orchestras, I highly recommend TSO! Whats better then Christmas music combined with hard rock? In town on the 20th. It will be our third year in a row. My two girls (7 and 8) LOVE it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My wife got tickets to Savior of The World and I'm stoked, not MoTab but still great nonetheless. I have been to see the choir on several occasions before though, being a Veteran and with half of the males in my family being Veterans as well I have a soft spot for patriotic music and it would have been amazing to hear them today.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
All of those that have marched behind a band should listen to the Mormon Tabernacle choir sing Battle Hymn of the Republic with orchestra accompaniment. Very strong message.

Gary T

Steve, you should check out the Millennial Choir & Orchestra (MCO). They are performing a Christmas concert on December 3 at Abravanel hall. My wife and I were fortunate enough to audition and be excepted for the Christmas concert semester. They are also looking for new members starting in January 2014. They practice in Provo at the convention center each Thursday evening. Millennial.org

DAA

Supporting Member
I've been to general conference a few times in recent years (my Son wanted to go, guy at work is the Son of a Seventy, good tickets...), the choir has always been the highlight for me.

- DAA

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Steve, you should check out the Millennial Choir & Orchestra (MCO). They are performing a Christmas concert on December 3 at Abravanel hall. My wife and I were fortunate enough to audition and be excepted for the Christmas concert semester. They are also looking for new members starting in January 2014. They practice in Provo at the convention center each Thursday evening. Millennial.org

How many members are in the choir? I know 2 people participating. Sounds like the concert on the 3rd will be really neat.