Trip Report The Pickle w/ Vonski

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love the Pickle in Moab, wish it were 4x longer! It's been awhile and I've really wanted to get out before Winter hit so I posted up on here and @Vonski took the bait! We met up on a brisk Sunday morning and headed out. There was water flowing down the wash and it was iced over in places. It was Vaughn's first time on the trail, so I was excited to run it with him.

I didn't get as many pics as I'd have liked... turns out the TJ in a pain in the ass to constantly climb in & out of, for a fat old guy. :oops:X-D

Also got to use the rear winch (video coming)... @MR4WD mentioned it was fast... I was way impressed with the line speed! The rear winch was pretty damn handy!

i-VRm8TTH-X4.jpg

i-GvgCc9B-X4.jpg

i-sH2nhc3-X4.jpg

i-7XkhwLn-X4.jpg

i-FbHRTdJ-X4.jpg

Greg

Admin
That's the exit now? :eek:

Yep! Jalapeno, it's SPICY!

My tires were wet & cold, it took a bump & some RPM's to get the rear end up the initial slick climb onto the obstacle.

I have a theory that all the SxS traffic is making the hard trails even harder, by digging them out and making bigger holes than ever. I'm OK with it though!

Pile of parts

I have a theory that all the SxS traffic is making the hard trails even harder, by digging them out and making bigger holes than ever.
I agree and have another theory... I've watched a lot of people out on the trail that think that rock crawling is ONLY crawling.... By that, I mean that they don't understand tire placement, momentum, bumping the throttle, etc and are happy to sit in one spot, slowly churning the tires for days, digging the holes deeper.

Looks like a fun day! I wonder how many more storms until that rock formation falls and becomes another obstacle???

RockChucker

looks fun. i haven't been on that trail for 6 or 7 years. the last obstacle definitely looks bigger.
....are you implying that some sort of tube door conversion is in the works or redoing the door bar for easier access?

Greg

Admin
looks fun. i haven't been on that trail for 6 or 7 years. the last obstacle definitely looks bigger.
....are you implying that some sort of tube door conversion is in the works or redoing the door bar for easier access?

It's changed a little over the years, for sure... with the last obstacle seeing the most wear.

I point fingers on the trail wear and tear, but I also spent time trying to climb an optional ledge to the right, half way thru the trail, was unsuccessful and left big holes in the sand.

There's a good chance I'll be redoing the door bar, I like how it's built but easier access would be welcomed. We will see what ends up being done, i dont have a plan yet. A small tube door would be neat.

We ran the Pickle Friday after Metal Masher. A little more interesting in the wet! The big rock on the left of first obstacle seems to have shifted down..

Yeah, wet tires change the difficulty real quick! That rock at the top of the first climb is right in the way, I'm surprised someone hasn't pulled it downhill.

Greg

Admin
I agree and have another theory... I've watched a lot of people out on the trail that think that rock crawling is ONLY crawling.... By that, I mean that they don't understand tire placement, momentum, bumping the throttle, etc and are happy to sit in one spot, slowly churning the tires for days, digging the holes deeper.

Looks like a fun day! I wonder how many more storms until that rock formation falls and becomes another obstacle???

Good points! Moab trails see a lot of traffic, mix that with flash floods for trails like the Pickle that are in washes and things change real quick!

Von and I talked about the big rock spire... wondering when it's going to fall. There isn't much left holding it up!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since I got to tryout both buggies, I can tell you that yours was more difficult to get it/out. Mine is still a bitch, but I just chalked yours up to the 4" higher overall height difference is. I expected it wouldn't be too difficult for you since you're a foot taller than me. 🤷‍♂️. I got quite a chuckle out of watching James K climb into mine at Sand Hollow.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Since I got to tryout both buggies, I can tell you that yours was more difficult to get it/out. Mine is still a bitch, but I just chalked yours up to the 4" higher overall height difference is. I expected it wouldn't be too difficult for you since you're a foot taller than me. 🤷‍♂️. I got quite a chuckle out of watching James K climb into mine at Sand Hollow.
Shut up. I am not as limber as I used to be.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Next time you’re in town with an empty passenger seat I’d love to tag along. I considered bringing out the minivan, but last time we ran the pickle in a stock rig it ended up with some body damage (14 years ago?!?)

Greg

Admin
Next time you’re in town with an empty passenger seat I’d love to tag along. I considered bringing out the minivan, but last time we ran the pickle in a stock rig it ended up with some body damage (14 years ago?!?)

I'll keep you in mind! I'd love to hit Pritchett and/or Coyote before the snow really hits, but the weather is already getting questionable.

I was actually telling @Vonski about your little fender bender on the final obstacle all those years ago! 😆