The Snowshoeing Thread

sixstringsteve

That book will change your backpacking life. You'll be pretty skeptical at first, but by the time you're done with the book you'll be a true convert. Also remember that backpacking in the snow is never going to be as ultralight as summertime. You can survive in the summer without a sleeping bag, but you don't want to test that in the winter. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Steve made great suggestions for the things that could be left home. Redundancy is great, but only needed on the really important items. The broncos hoodie and the lantern really need to go.

sixstringsteve

Here's what I'm planning on bringing:

Extra Clothing:
- (2nd pair) merino wool base layer pants - 6.5 oz
- (2nd pair) merino wool base layer top - 6.4 oz
- (2nd pair) merino socks - light
- sherpa down jacket - kinda heavy
- beanie
- sunglasses

I'll be wearing
- gloves - light
- (2nd pair) merino wool socks
- midweight top - sorta heavy
- wool buff
- snow pants (heavy, but I don't care)
- hiking boots - 11.5 oz
- trekking poles - 17.2 oz

Other:
- stove + cookpot - 6oz
- shelter
- hand warmers
- phone
- 1 key to my truck
- shovel
- knife - 1 oz
- hand sanitizer - .2 oz
- first aid kit - 1 oz

Food
- spud bombs
- 2 cliff bars
- oatmeal
- 1L water

Last edited:

jentzschman

Steve made great suggestions for the things that could be left home. Redundancy is great, but only needed on the really important items. The broncos hoodie and the lantern really need to go.

Ya, the hoodie is gone :) This is why I like you guys, you help me see my obsessive need to overpack. I guess I tend to error on the side of caution, especially in the winter.

sixstringsteve

We were taught that way in scouts. I felt the same way on my first ultralight trip. I normally packed 3 t-shirts for an overnighter, just in case. You'll learn that you'll be more comfortable not bringing all the extra stuff, and if you prepare for the conditions, you won't be left with any "just in case" items, because you'll be prepared for whatever comes.

I saw some scouts backpacking in the tetons this summer, and one kid had an entire roll of duct tape hanging off the back of his pack. He was prepared, but definitely overprepared. Have you ever used an entire roll of duct tape in less than a 4 month period of time? :rofl:

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Ya, the hoodie is gone :) This is why I like you guys, you help me see my obsessive need to overpack. I guess I tend to error on the side of caution, especially in the winter.

I would much rather go winter camping with someone that over prepares like you do than someone that brings nothing.

A list is a very important step. Take what you take and wen you get home make 3 piles. Pile 1-Stuff you used. Pile 2-Stuff you didn't use. Pile 3-Stuff that is needed for safety(like 10 essentials). Then you can re-evaluate your list and see how you can modify it to fit your needs. After a few times you can get a better feel for what to pack. Then you can look at swapping out those items for lighter versions of the same item. You can also, find items that can be multi use and save the weight by cutting down the overall number of items you need to pack. For instance, a buff, balaclava, fleece gloves, or leatherman can be a pot gripper.

Last edited:

jentzschman

We were taught that way in scouts. I felt the same way on my first ultralight trip. I normally packed 3 t-shirts for an overnighter, just in case.

I saw some scouts backpacking in the tetons this summer, and one kid had an entire roll of duct tape hanging off the back of his pack. He was prepared, but definitely overprepared. Have you ever used an entire roll of duct tape in less than a 4 months period? :rofl:

So true.

I think it is about changing the mindset and finding a balance. But for a single night trip, ya, I need to learn to slim things down. :D

jentzschman

I would much rather go winter camping with someone that over prepares like you do than someone that brings nothing.

A list is a very important step. Take what you take and wen you get home make 3 piles. Pile 1-Stuff you used. Pile 2-Stuff you didn't use. Pile 3-Stuff that is needed for safety(like 10 essentials). Then you can re-evaluate your list and see how you can modify it to fit your needs. After a few times you can get a better feel for what to pack. Then you can look at swapping out those items for lighter versions of the same item. You can also, find items that can be multi use and save the weight by cutting down the overall number of items you need to pack. For instance, a buff, balaclava, fleece gloves, or leatherman can be a pot gripper.

That is such a good idea! Thanks Davy.

sixstringsteve

x2. A winter overnighter is a tough 1st ultralight experience. Definitely err on the side of caution over UL. You won't have it dialed for a while (I know this because I don't have UL dialed yet). Also, there are some illogical things that you'll want to bring that aren't UL. That's ok. These things may not make sense to others, but they will make sense to you. All of us have them. For me it's a gopro and my heavy pillow that is necessary for me to sleep well at night. For others it's their multi-tool, and others it's their telescope for stargazing.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
x2. A winter overnighter is a rough 1st ultralight experience. You won't have it dialed for a while (I know this because I don't have UL dialed). Also, there are some things that aren't UL, that you'll bring and it'll only make sense for you. That's ok. We all have our weird things we take that aren't light. For me it's a gopro and my heavy pillow that is neccessary for me to sleep well at night. For others it's their multi-tool, and others it's their coffee for the morning.

For me it is usually some atomic fireballs. I love those especially when backpacking. I will also often take dice to play some games(although I do have some tiny ultralight dice:rolleyes:).

jentzschman

One thought I had was to bring the tent fly, footprint, and poles only (no tent body) for an UL shelter. I have used it in that configuration before and its pretty good, but not sure how it will do for winter. Heck, the tent body is pretty much all mesh anyway so it's not like it holds heat in anyway.

sixstringsteve

exactly. You don't need to worry about bugs. My REI tent wouldn't be much warmer with the tent part since it's all mesh. As long as you pitch your tent close to the ground, it shouldn't be too windy inside.

But don't feel pressure to cut as much weight as possible. It's probably more important that you stay warm. If an extra 2-5 lbs means you'll be warmer up there, by all means do it.

jentzschman

exactly. You don't need to worry about bugs. My REI tent wouldn't be much warmer with the tent part since it's all mesh. As long as you pitch your tent close to the ground, it shouldn't be too windy inside.

But don't feel pressure to cut as much weight as possible. It's probably more important that you stay warm. If an extra 2-5 lbs means you'll be warmer up there, by all means do it.

I think I will cut the tent body out. If I feel the need, I can can add an extra layer and perhaps still be under the weight of the tent body.

(holy carp, this is almost addictive "why else can I shave out?" :) )

sixstringsteve

It is very addictive, especially in the summer when you don't have to take extra clothing. Just wait 'till you pick up your pack and realize it weighs 5-10 lbs less than normal, which gives you tons more energy.

jentzschman

It is very addictive, especially in the summer when you don't have to take extra clothing. Just wait 'till you pick up your pack and realize it weighs 5-10 lbs less than normal, which gives you tons more energy.

This is a weak spot for me. I try to find that "perfect" pack. I realize now that I need 10 packs! :)

Rock Taco

Here's what I'm planning on bringing:

Extra Clothing:
- (2nd pair) merino socks - light
- sherpa down jacket - kinda heavy
- beanie
- sunglasses

I'll be wearing
- gloves - light
- (2nd pair) merino wool socks
- midweight top - sorta heavy
- wool buff
- snow pants (heavy, but I don't care)
- hiking boots - 11.5 oz
- trekking poles - 17.2 oz

Other:
- stove + cookpot - 6oz
- shelter
- hand warmers
- phone
- 1 key to my truck
- shovel
- knife - 1 oz
- hand sanitizer - .2 oz
- first aid kit - 1 oz

Food
- spud bombs
- 2 cliff bars
- oatmeal
- 1L water

No sleeping bag sleeping pad or any type of light?

jentzschman

No, you just need one pack. This one: :D

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

Less than 1 lb.

Here's my pack that I absolutely love:

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs/3400-series/3400-windrider-78.html

and its smaller brother that I also want to buy:
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs/2400-series/2400-windrider.html

That is pretty slick! Interesting. A little outside my price range at the moment though.

That Jam pack is still looking good though...