The wifes new 4x4...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Most of you know we sold the TJ, the buyer is picking it up this weekend. :-\ I also listed the Dodge, since we no longer need a tow rig. It sold last week... the Dodge was my wifes daily-driver and we needed a replacement for her to drive.

We still have the VW Jetta with it's 45-46 MPG TDI motor which is my daily-driver and the FJ80 Landcruiser which is the trail vehicle. Nothing extreme, but a fun, family 4x4 that I don't mind scratching up or dunking in the occasional river. ;)

Catherine likes SUV's over cars and she had a '99 4Runner that we really liked, but traded it on the Dodge a couple yrs ago. Her '99 4Runner had a small Old Man Emu lift, rear locker and 265 BFG AT's. It was a great rig for bad roads and mild trails. Remembering how much we liked the '99 4Runner, we opted to get another.

We decided to get a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a V8 this time... found one with 40k miles that looked and drove like it was new. The previous owner had just installed a set of 265 BFG AT's, which didn't hurt the deal! At this point the 4Runner is going to stay on the 265's, then eventually get a 3" OME lift and a ARB/Shrockworks bumper. I'd like to add some lights and a winch down the road, but that may take some convincing on the wife's part, since it's 'her' rig. I want this setup to work well for Baja trips, weekend camping trips to the San Juan mtns and exploring the desert in Utah.

We've been driving this 4Runner for a few days and it's impressive! The 4.7l V8 & 5 speed automatic are a great pair, the motor turns 2100 RPM at 75 MPH! It's a rocket with that V8 and still manages to get almost 20 MPG. It has some crazy functions... Downhill Assist Control, it automatically brakes the vehicle on steep hills when engaged. It also has a traction-control system called ATRAC, not quite as good as lockers but it will apply brakes to a spinning tire and force the power to the tires with traction. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty interesting.

I'm looking forward to the first big trip we take!

Here's the 4Runner...

Attachments

• IMG00009 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00009 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 31

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The ATRAC systems are actually pretty dang neat. I've seem some "open" diffed ATRAC equipped rigs go places I really didn't think they would. :cool:

I really like those newer 4Runners, can't wait to see how you decide to build it.

Meat_

Banned
The ATRAC systems are actually pretty dang neat. I've seem some "open" diffed ATRAC equipped rigs go places I really didn't think they would. :cool:

I really like those newer 4Runners, can't wait to see how you decide to build it.

Is that the same setup as the one on Edmunds FJ? That is fairly impressive

Greg

Admin

Good to hear! I've seen some ATRAC videos and it's pretty impressive. It seems that the correct driver input is critical to forward progress. Here's one video, looks like airing down the tires or more aggressive tires would help when the ATRAC kicks in-

http://www.ezdries.net/Vidpics/HollisterJune04/quarry.mpg

It's going to be pretty basic really, hope to be calling you soon for an OME suspension though. :greg:

MRJ

Just a user
Here is a picture of a friends Newer 4runner.

The ARB bumper with it's little wing guards (skid plates under the bumper corners) is way cool. His is open as well with the TC and worked great. HE has the V6 model it it has plenty of umpf.

Greg

Admin
Here is a picture of a friends Newer 4runner.

The ARB bumper with it's little wing guards (skid plates under the bumper corners) is way cool. His is open as well with the TC and worked great. HE has the V6 model it it has plenty of umpf.

I saw that 4Runner in the trip report, I was impressed that he took it up Rattlesnake! Not sure I'd dare, but he's pretty well built up. These 4Runners are pretty low stock, I'd really like to get it lifted before tackling any serious trails.

I would love an ARB bumper sooner rather than later, they provide some good protection, increase the approach angle and look great.

Nice looking rig Greg.

Looks good :greg:

I'll let Catherine know... :rofl:

Greg

Admin
It's so pretty! I bet Catherine is thrilled to be able to park close to stores again. ;)

She loves driving it, say it's her favorite car, which is a pretty big deal. She had a Mitsubishi Montero Sport when we met and she had some options that she added to make it hers. She loved that Montero so much... but now says that the Montero and this 4Runner are about tied. :rofl:

What kind of tow rating do they have with the V8? Is the tranny up to anything heavy at all?

This one has a 5000# tow rating with the V8, but the newer (same model) 4Runners come with a weight distribution hitch which bumped the tow capacity up to 7500#'s. The 4Runner also has massive F & R disc brakes. The 4.7l V8 and auto are the same combo that comes in the last Gen Tundras, which are a decent tow rig.

Corban_White

What kind of tow rating do they have with the V8? Is the tranny up to anything heavy at all?

I can say that my 4.0 v6 Tacoma tows great. 55-60 up parleys with 5600 in tow and 33s. I imagine the v8 would be even better (even though the power difference is not huge).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Nice! :cool:

...May I ask what that set you back? Maybe we'll start looking that way and dump the JK idea since I'll be keeping the 'not so much left Rubicon'... ;)